The Vice President, Data Scientist is the analytic business lead for the Property & Casualty Business, known as Ameriprise Auto & Home (AAH). The mandate is to own the analytic strategy and solutions that support AAH. In this role, you will work closely with Marketing, Underwriting, Claims, Pricing and Reserving, ultimately building significant partnerships with the Functional leaders to design and implement solutions which leverage predictive modeling. This includes keeping abreast of industry trends and understanding the competitive landscape of the property & casualty industry as well as managing and leading a geographically dispersed team of ten (10).
The position plays an integral role in supporting AIM’s predictive modeling and data analysis in support of the Auto and Home business. The incumbent must be able to successfully operate in a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment, handle multiple competing project priorities, and support information-based decision logic and predictive modeling solutions. The incumbent will apply data science knowledge to support key business strategies. They will need to demonstrate strong technical/problem solving skills in a complex data ecosystem. They will work enterprise wide across AAH with Sales Leadership, Actuarial, Marketing, Claims, Underwriting and BI /analytics teams. The role will partner heavily with third party distribution firms to execute against key analytic business strategies. This position can be based in Green Bay, Minnesota or Phoenix. Travel will be required across the locations.
• Assist in the design, development, implementation and documentation of data science-based decision logic and predictive modeling solutions that drive efficiency, growth and value to the business.
• Drive the development and use of predictive modeling and advanced analytics to drive sales, pricing, fraud and claims through internal and external networks.
• Support the definition and design of data strategies that meet the long term business partner needs which leverage emerging analytic techniques or technology.
• Coordinate with AAH leaders to elucidate business needs, developing analytical solutions to address the opportunity.
• Work effectively in a matrix environment across multiple locations (global).
• Grow and lead a team of decision sciences professionals.
• 10+ years’ data science experience, with a minimum of 5 years’ experience leveraging predictive modeling with a property and casualty company.
• Graduate degree (or equivalent) in Economics, Statistics, Mathematics, Actuarial Science, Finance or related field.
• Extremely strong and proven relationship-building skills.
• Hands-on experience in data-analysis, including regression modeling.
• Experience writing production grade code on a standard statistical platform (R, Python and SAS preferred).
• Competence in using the analytic technology and an understanding of analytic data mart/ data lake structures and content.
• Proven flexibility and adaptability in effectively driving results in an environment of changing priorities.
• Strong analytical thinking skills.
• Well-organized and capable of handling multiple mission-critical projects simultaneously while meeting deadlines.
• Self-starter with the ability to work effectively in a matrix environment while (at times) working autonomously.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
PhD in Statistics, Economics or related field preferred