Vice President, Data and Research• Overview
The Mastercard Center for Inclusive Growth seeks to advance sustainable economic growth and financial inclusion around the world through research partnerships, data philanthropy, strategic investments and knowledge sharing. By seeding research, leveraging the assets of Mastercard for good and bringing together global thought leaders and sharing their actionable insights, the Center will support and enable those historically excluded from the growth process and be a catalyst for change. The Vice President, Data & Research is responsible for the Center's overall strategy for data philanthropy, analytics and research partnerships that promote inclusive growth leveraging the Center’s and Mastercard’s network, supporting the goal to be a leading private sector voice and resource on inclusive growth.
• Develops and directs overarching strategy for the Center core research agenda and data philanthropy that leverages Mastercard data and analytics, and positions the MasterCard Center as a renowned and respected source of cutting-edge thought leadership
• Lead the strategy to drive engagement and partnerships with leading academics and research institutions and with prominent decision makers and influencers around the world on the Center’s themes of inclusive growth, democratizing productivity and helping people prepare for changes in labor markets.
• Lead the research agenda with Senior Fellows, university research partners, and new data fellows using in-house data, in collaboration with Center Chief Economist
• Lead and develop cross functional projects and initiatives with internal partners (e.g. legal, public policy, Advisors, communications, marketing, and public-private partnership team) to integrate Center activities and efforts into broader Mastercard work efforts
• Partner with Data Privacy to develop the Company’s position on data sharing resulting in a standard, replicable and scalable data grant process
• Identify and facilitate research partnership with academics to study rollouts of new products and services focused on excluded or marginalized populations
• Measures impact of data philanthropy and research agenda, in order to identify efficiencies and scale efforts
• Represent Center through public speaking appearances at domestic and international conferences
• Supervises a group/team, ensures compliance to goal-setting and performance appraisal processes, identifies and coaches top talent within own team
All about You:
• Extensive experience in solving challenges through data science with a passion about innovative public-private approaches to business and economic development
• Deep understanding of research and field experiments, familiarity working with academics doing data-intensive research in the economic development field.
• Extensive analytical skills and experience with complex data and technology matters and experience working closely with technical experts to analyze complicated business, technology, and policy issues
• Significant experience interacting with senior company management and prominent public and private sector leaders, with demonstrated ability to use bold ideas to engage and influence high-level decision makers
• Extensive understanding of the perspectives, motivations, and goals of relevant stakeholders (e.g. businesses, universities, research institutions, government agencies, NGOs, and foundations), ideally through direct work experience at more than one such organization
• Extensive experience in owning and independently managing multiple investments and campaigns designed to meet business goals (such as cross-organizational initiatives, idea-creation programs, and corporate social responsibility (CSR) opportunities)
• Independently executed speaking engagements and creation of core content. Excellent writing skills and ability to translate academic research into actionable insights for a wide audience
• Proven ability in growing and developing teams, inspiring and empowering others; providing coaching and feedback to build a sustainable culture of high performance across multi-cultural teams
• Basic knowledge of global payments technology industry, and financial inclusion literature
• Creative thinker possessing high level of comfort with fast-paced, dynamic work environment
• Combination of both private and public sector experience preferred
• Advanced degree required, Phd preferred but not required