The Vice President will oversee TNTP’s brand, publications, internal communications, and strategic support for TNTP staff and clients in school systems nationwide. We expect our Vice President to:
- Be an outstanding communicator. You are an expert writer and editor with a clear and compelling voice, a sensitive ear, and a knack for finding simplicity in complexity. You add that extra level of polish to signature communications, whether it’s a publication, CEO speech, or client campaign.
- Have a vision that connects our work to outcomes for kids. You’re a strategy setter who can generate innovative and nuanced solutions to complex challenges. You help our partners translate strategy into action, and have a vision for how a third-party organization can catalyze substantive improvements in public education through strategic communication.
- Be a strong strategic thinker. You are a natural problem-solver who can efficiently assess the big picture, analyze the root causes, and define new ways forward. You are intellectually curious and thrive on working with multidisciplinary teams, often across multiple projects at once.
- Invest and influence others. You bring out the best in your team and inspire your colleagues. You are a skilled manager who can lead a strong team to new heights. You are confident with clients and peers, listen actively, and advise effectively.
Specifically, the Vice President will be responsible for the following:
Communications Strategy, Vision, and Leadership
- Lead a team of communications professionals and engage internal stakeholders to develop and implement an integrated strategic communications plan to advance TNTP’s brand identity; broaden awareness of its priorities, programs and results; increase the range of its public voice across key stakeholder audiences; and create new business opportunities.
- Create and oversee implementation of marketing and communications strategy that will allow TNTP leadership to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences, including media, key influencers, and potential clients.
- Continuously evaluate, learn, and improve upon our marketing and communications efforts to ensure TNTP’s voice maintains relevance and increases in influence.
- Identify challenges and emerging issues faced by the organization. Work with leadership team and staff to recognize internal and external communications opportunities and solutions, and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them.
- Serve as communications counselor and advisor to TNTP’s Leadership and Executive Teams.
- Oversee, and support staff in developing and writing all online and print publications, including major policy reports, annual reports, marketing collateral materials and our main website.
- Exercise judgment to prioritize media opportunities, and prepare talking points, presentations, and other supporting material as needed.
- Ensure active engagement, cultivation and management of press relationships to ensure coverage of TNTP’s activities, special events, public announcements, and other programs.
- Work with Partner-level direct reports to oversee the day-to-day activities of the communications operation including budgeting, planning, team engagement, and staff development.
- Offer thought partnership and inform the priorities and strategic direction of TNTP a member of TNTP’s Leadership Team.
- Directly manage two Partners and lead a team of 11-14 staff responsible for all internal communications, external communications, client consultation, and publications.
- Promote a culture of high performance, effective cross-function, and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to the highest quality standards.
- Mentor, coach, and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach on a consistent basis.
- Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set goals, establish priorities, conduct annual performance reviews, and administer salary adjustments.
What You Bring
We are looking for amazing people who have diverse backgrounds and experiences, are inspired by our mission and are highly motivated to change children’s lives through education. You’ll be right at home here if you learn from failure and overcome adversity, cultivate strong relationships, and push yourself, your work and the people around you to the next level.
Specifically, we are looking for people with:
- Senior leadership experience and expertise in communications strategy; experience with nonprofit, education or social justice organizations are preferred, 10+ years of experiencepreferred
- Proven experience shaping long-term vision and driving strategies to achieve objectives in marketing, public relations, internal communications and policy communications
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, or related field is required, an advanced degree is preferred
- Demonstrated senior experience leading a multi-faceted communications, marketing, and publication program
- Experience with building relationships with top tier reporters and editors, and in successfully positioning subject matter with the media to achieve high-impact placements
- Extensive successful writing and editingexperience with a variety of print and online communications media
- Creative and thoughtful on how new media technologies can be utilized
- Innovative thinker, with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans and output
- Experience in building, mentoring, and coaching a team of communications specialists
- Superior management skills; ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers
- Self-reliant, good problem solver, results oriented
- Ability to make decisions in a changing environment and anticipate future needs
- Excellent and persuasive communicator
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive; a team leader who can positively and productively impact both strategic and tactical initiatives
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills, with the ability and comfort to effectively interface with senior management and staff