The Vice President for Communications and External Affairs provides the overall strategic direction and implementation of City of Hope communications and public affairs initiatives across the enterprise, including the hospital, research and philanthropic areas. This includes oversight of all of City of Hope’s media relations, public relations, external relations, visitor services and web content issues. Manages team of 25, plus external consultant and public relations/marketing agencies.
This position reports to the Chief Marketing and Communications Officer and provides strategic counsel regarding communications to the City of Hope executive team, including the City of Hope National Medical Center, Beckman Research Institute, and the City of Hope Medical Foundation. Position will directly supervise City of Hope leads for media relations, client group communications, content development, and events/visitor services.
- Develop and implement strategic communications and public affairs programs that advance City of Hope’s mission and goals
- Establish strategic direction for all programs within communications and public affairs to ensure the implementation of comprehensive, integrated programs that are consistent with the strategic direction of the organization. Oversees all corporate communications including but not limited to enterprise leader communications, messaging, publications and other communications produced on behalf of the organization
- Plan, direct, coordinate, budget for, and evaluate the impact of all communications and public affairs programs for City of Hope. All financial and budgetary activities for these areas will be carefully planned, implemented and monitored
- Develop strategic plan to increase awareness of City of Hope and strong alliances with the broader external community. Significant focus on media relations and content development
- Anticipate opportunities and needs and assist appropriate members of the organization in the development and implementation of special communication plans and vehicles as the needs arise
- Oversee crisis and emergency communications for the organization; he/she and/or his/her delegate serve as the representative at all campus and/or city and state emergency drills; develops and maintains all emergency communications plans and procedures
- Serves as a spokesperson for the organization as needed
- Develop the creative approach, select external consultants as appropriate, and implement programs that have measurable and sustainable outcomes
- Develop and establish serviced-oriented, client-based processes that are cost effective and ensure timely, efficient and effective programs
Minimum Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Ten years relevant experience in relevant aspects of communications, including five years in the health care arena. Must be proficient in all digital channels and content management
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Master’s degree preferred.
Skills / Abilities:
- Proven creative and editorial implementation skills.
- Ability to work well with senior leadership, creative staff, administrators and academic medical professionals.
- Superior verbal and written communications skills.
- Demonstrated skills in initiating, planning and operationalizing performance improvement.
- Expresses commitment to City of Hope’s mission, personally identifies with its vision and takes pride in shared success
- Builds and maintains collaborative relationships across all functions and levels within the organization and promotes synergy
- Exhibits flexibility while influencing others to improve processes and implement changes
- Anticipates needs, responds quickly, provides guidance and support, monitors and follows up as required
- Exhibits outstanding communication skills and produces concise, incisive, and logical written documents
- Approaches change by accomplishing milestones and works with and through others to drive change
- Possesses a style which is both innovative and results-oriented
- Enjoys the challenge of managing multiple projects, serving multiple customers and constituents that require attention
- Thrives in a fast-paced, demanding, ambiguous and matrixed environment, and remains calm in crisis
- Interacts easily with a wide variety of interpersonal styles and is open-minded on alternative means of getting needed business results
- Succeeds in very complex environments wherein decision-making may be diffuse and often ambiguous
- Demonstrates ability to think strategically, understand and actively contribute to strategic planning, and develop and operationalize strategic and business plans in accordance with the organization’s mission
- Exhibits a high degree of professionalism and competency dealing with a variety of individuals including physicians, senior executives, hospital administration, consultants and members of the Board of Directors
- Strategic, change and organizational agility
- Focus on media and external communications channels
- Strong team and interpersonal skills
- Team builder, self-starter, results oriented, talent management, and analytical
- Collaborative to create synergies, motivates others, and culturally attuned to an academic medical center and medical providers