Accountable for the full lifecycle of Spirent's engagement in one of its most important key accounts, including the P&L. One of the company's most senior customer-facing roles, accountable, through the EVP Global Sales, to Spirent's Executive leadership team to inform and strongly influence transformative changes that drive alignment between Spirent's strategy and the account's strategy across the Spirent portfolio, enhancing our value to the account. Develops successful and sustainable long-term senior-level business relationships and effectively identifies business growth opportunities in the key account. Prepares the business case and plans to capitalize on the opportunities. Coordinates the priorities and activities of the cross-functional Spirent team to achieve long-term revenue and profit growth objectives for the account. | Key Account: Sprint & T-Mobile
- Education: Minimum of a Bachelor's degree in Sales, Consulting, Business Management, Business Administration, Communications, Engineering or other relevant field. A Master's degree is strongly preferred.
- Experience: Minimum of 10 years of experience working in a management position within a fast-paced and highly competitive business environment, preferably working at a senior level in a customer-facing role with key accounts. The ideal candidate will have an impressive track record in meeting or exceeding business targets, with experience of top-tier networking companies and/or service providers in the Telecom or computer networking/storage businesses. A strong indicator of success will be the personal network of the candidate with business leaders within Spirent's largest customers. The candidate will also have a proven and successful track record in establishing and maintaining strong, long-term, high-value consumer relationships. A high level of effectiveness in leading, developing, and motivating a cross-functional team of sales, marketing and support employees is required, with a demonstrable record of leading them to achievement or surpassing of goals/targets.
- Personal characteristics: The ideal candidate will have a low ego, be open to input from across functional lines, be willing to accept feedback, and to subordinate personal interests to the interests of the company. They will treat everyone with respect, irrespective of their level in the organization and be a consistent team player with a high level of emotional intelligence. They will also be able to manage a cross-functional team with a combination of dedicated and shared resources to meet its objective and make things happen.
- Communication Skills: A clear, unambiguous and effective communicator at all levels up to and including 'C' level, both one-on-one and in groups. Creates reports and presentations for executive management, clients, collaborating personnel, and key stakeholders. Able to communicate the most complex messages in clear, understandable, and convincing terms and to tailor messages for a wide range of audiences in a relatable manner.
- Analytical Skills: Passion for, and genuine interest in, the business challenges of the key account, as well as the insights that result from their business history. Demonstrates a clear understanding of sales and market analyses and an ability to extract useful insights from raw data and information for the purpose of strategy creation, furthering key account agendas, and enabling the achievement of goals and targets.
- Interpersonal Skills: Customer-oriented, patient in managing difficult situations, results-focused, demonstrates integrity and respect in the performance of his or her duties, self-motivated - going beyond the call of duty, able to handle multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines, possesses exceptional organizational skills, and demonstrates calmness in uncertain and stressful situations, inspiring the same in his or her colleagues.
- People/Leadership Skills: A committed and highly collaborative individual who values the input of colleagues and involves others in important decision making. Demonstrates an ability to lead with vision and to establish a healthy working culture in a team, especially in a matrixed organizational structure. The candidate will be likeable and approachable, easily able to earn the trust of clients, senior sales personnel and cross-functional leadership, with a proven ability to mentor and develop team members.
- Leadership and Persuasion: Credibly represents/promotes Spirent at key account. Able to create unity, productivity and to instill a sense of urgency in the team, even under matrix management scenarios; is able to improve average performers and motivate above average performers to excellence; uses language and other communication skills to motivate and direct the actions of the account team, internal colleagues and customers; engenders a sense of urgency when presenting company value propositions and proposing solutions to customer problems; generates a convincing approach to gaining champions regardless of forum of communication.
- Resourcefulness: Consistently displays drive, persistence and optimism; overcomes the toughest obstacles, both internal and external; utilizes all available resources to achieve committed strategic, revenue and margin goals; able to re-prioritize activities in the face of changing business conditions. Overcomes barriers; finds commercial solutions; solves problems; finds resources to address a challenge; responds creatively to lack of formal resources.
- Executive Credibility and Insight Generation: Offers strategic operational insights; makes productive connections with executive level account contacts; understands executive level business needs and objectives; aligns actions to those needs/objectives; conducts boardroom discussions; places executive sponsors in key meetings; spends time cultivating executive sponsors in partner organizations and internally; creates new demand by proactively bringing new points of view; challenges conventional thinking.
- Negotiation: Seeks an outcome that builds trust with customers; Uses give-get frameworks; represents company interests; leaves clients, partners, and prospects satisfied with a solution or deal, but not at the cost of corporate objectives and well-being.
- Drive for Results: Understands strategic priorities; develops internal strategy for the account; links customer strategic goals to solutions; pursues goals; maintains focus; seeks out quantitative comparison; demonstrates results in variety of environments; overcomes adversity and avoids obstacles while proceeding to a pre-established goal; pursues customer, partner, and company objectives with energy, urgency, and determination.
- Customer Focus: Acknowledged factor to customer's success (personal and corporate level); develops uniquely strong customer loyalty; low-to-no customer attrition; key account executive contacts will go to bat for him/her; generates repeat business more than peers; assigned account has high customer satisfaction/NPS scores relative to peers.
- Accountability: Takes personal accountability as the primary driver or catalyst to ensure Spirent and customer success; focuses on being part of the solution, not just an identifier of gaps or challenges; actively collaborates across functions, BUs, and geographies; delivers committed results; manages the impact of resources in reaching objectives at the key account; budgets time effectively; manages meeting commitments; handles assignment conflicts; able to discern and focus on priorities.
- Innovation Management: Pursues goals; maintains focus; seeks out quantitative comparison; demonstrates results in variety of business environments.
- Business Acumen: Understands the intersection of Spirent current and future product portfolio with the key account's business needs; keeps up with the key account's market and industry to be able to identify potential product trends and related solution needs; keen knowledge of the customer's financial standing as well as market standing; manages profitability of the key account for Spirent.
- Diplomacy: Assesses the political hierarchy in partners and customers; navigates internal and external politics in multiple environments; avoids stereotypical behavior; motivates economic buyers; creates champions; turns opponents into supporters; co-opts business partners; maintains goodwill from accounts in times of organization-to-organization conflict; demonstrates strong emotional intelligence.
- Networking: Possesses and references a network of current, relevant personal and business contacts; spends time with customers in social situations; gets others to accomplish work for them; gets along well with others of different backgrounds; gets customers to forgive errors because of genuineness and likeability; demonstrates popularity at all levels of the organization.
Requisition Number4434Job CategorySales/Business DevelopmentJob LocationHome Office, US, Kansas City, KS, Plano, TX, Redmond, WAResponsibilities
Leadership and Strategy: Fully understands company strategy and priorities and ensures alignment with the key account strategy, proactively leading internal and external strategy planning for the key account across the entire business, in conjunction with the cross-functional key account team.
Challenges the status quo and breaks new ground in the pursuit of commercial advantage. Assesses, clarifies, and validates customer needs on a regular basis, and has responsibility to identify solutions that best address customer needs. Operates in a highly flexible manner, partnering with the Sales account team and leveraging a combination of dedicated and shared teams, including business unit management, product management, product marketing, account-based marketing, services and support, to deliver business objectives and meet customer expectations. Accountable for the achievement of the business's overall objectives for the key account across the entire Spirent portfolio and for the cross-functional account team's assigned targets.
Plays a mentorship/coaching role to the key account team (including sales account manager, business unit managers (from relevant BUs), ABM account lead, account solutions architect), including constant honing of their skills, ensuring their professional improvement, and their preparedness for future growth within Spirent.
Relationship Management: Builds strong and long-lasting relationships with leaders up to and including C-level within the account through demonstration of a clear understanding of the account's business challenges, enabling the role to act as a consultant, and through alignment of long-term plans. Facilitates the development of relationships between senior leaders in the account and relevant senior leaders within Spirent to improve short- and long-term alignment.
Develops and maintains healthy relationships with senior managers of departments and functions within key account, ensures the establishment and maintenance of regular business review meetings between Spirent and the key account and chairs these meetings. Also engages in key account events, seminars, and relevant industry forums.
Internal Collaboration/Alignment: Ensures account alignment meetings take place on an agreed cadence between account leadership and key stakeholders and that actions are recorded and followed through. Works to create cross-functional engagements and understanding with necessary departments, for example marketing, to align goals and approaches that facilitate achievement of key account objectives. Represents the interests of the key account and key account team in company's annual and medium-term planning processes. Works with the finance department in determining financial requirements for the key account program, developing internal budgetary allocations, and developing and tracking an account-specific P&L.
Uses connections, position and experience to help manage tensions and conflicts of interest across organizational/functional silos and other stakeholders. Helps to negotiate internal "go/no-go points" (opportunity, proposal, contract, etc.). Makes themselves available as an escalation point, providing the key account with an effective mechanism to escalate a serious concern above the Sales/support account team level. Accepts accountability for following through cross-functionally on resolution of escalations.
Analytics and Reporting: Plays a key analytical role in conducting research and gathering data on the account and its peers/competitors, the market, and competitive environment in order to identify additional business growth strategies. Tasked, in collaboration with the account team, with developing and implementing growth plans, measures, performance benchmarking, and in formulating and nurturing outstanding initiatives with game-changing potential.
Gathers data and information both from his or her own initiatives and from other key account team members, compiles it, analyzes it, and creates formal reports and presentations to be used collaboratively with business unit leadership, executive management and the Board in the formulation of decisions and strategies. Measures the account's overall performance, weighing it against business targets and KPIs, including the account P&L, enabling the identification of areas of improvement and providing crucial insights for strategic development of the business.