Zymergen seeks a distinctive individual to lead our growing Healthcare Business Development efforts. We want to partner with leading healthcare companies to meet their needs with differentiated products made possible through Zymergen’s biofacturing platform. We are looking for someone to lead and build a business that supplies materials into the healthcare industry -- from generics to novel therapeutics and other materials used in the healthcare supply chain. The VP, Healthcare BD is responsible for identifying new commercial opportunities in this area, building a commercial organization to support these efforts and project management of scale up and manufacturing of these products.
Zymergen is a fast-growing company and, as such, the role is likely to expand and change. The interdisciplinary nature of the work means that diverse skills, experiences, and perspectives are essential to our success.
- Pharma manufacturing experience. Ability to oversee scale-up, manufacturings and commercialization of differentiated products for the healthcare industry.
- Entrepreneurial approach and market strategy. Ability to understand where opportunities are in the healthcare market that could benefit from Zymergen’s platform and to construct campaigns and programs to execute against these opportunities. Create and execute on a vision and strategy for building a significant healthcare business at Zymergen.
- People management. Ability to motivate and coach business development professionals to improve as professionals and make progress on their sales pipelines.
- Senior executive relationship management. Ability to develop and cultivate relationships with client executives; presence and confidence to interact with these senior executives as peers.
- Communication. Oral communication skills to represent Zymergen in sales interactions, conferences and as a leader within the company. An ability to present compelling descriptions of a value proposition and to adapt their communication to different audiences (e.g., business vs. technical audiences) and the ability to coach others to do the same. Active and adaptive listening skills to understand needs of customers and the ability to translate those needs into ideas and solutions with customers in real time. Excellent writing skills. Ability to coach team members on customer communications throughout the sales and delivery cycles. Able to lead the cutting out of our own market, and educating the clients as to why we can help.
- Problem solving. Ability to break down complex customer and internal issues into their component parts, define work to be done (both workplans and analytical approaches), and to coach people through execution to an answer. Strong synthesis skills are required to constantly frame answers and a path forward in a frequently changing environment.
- Ability to work cross-functionally. Awareness of cross-functional dependencies for sales success and ability to work directly to resolve bottlenecks and to coach team members to also succeed cross-functionally.
- Pipeline management. Experience managing teams to move opportunities through a sales pipeline. This includes coaching on account strategies, relationship mapping, as well as discipline to manage to CRM data to encourage pipeline progress and close.
- Deal structuring, pricing and contracting. Experience structuring large, complex deals. Ability to understand customer needs and translate needs into creative deal structures.
- Large scale program delivery. Track record of managing large, complex, multi-year programs to completion. Effective contract management, including an ability to problem solve issues as they arise and manage teams to come to effective resolutions.
- Planning. Experience planning sales and operating goals, headcount requirements, and budgets. Experience making tradeoffs amongst these items to meet goals.
- Advanced degree (MS, PhD, or MBA) or significant relevant work experience in life sciences, pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, or other areas of interest, including manufacturing
- Education (undergraduate or graduate degree) in the sciences preferred
- Experience in pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies including manufacturing experience. Has an understanding of buying behavior and deal requirements unique to the industry and ability to oversee commercialization of products from the earliest stages.
- Understanding of pharmaceutical regulatory requirements at a high level, aware of the roadblocks
- Sense of pharma and biotech industry dynamics and trends