Alternate Locations: Boston, MA (Massachusetts); Dover, NH (New Hampshire); Omaha, NE (Nebraska)
Relocation assistance will be considered/provided for this opportunity within our company guidelines.
About the Company
Lincoln Financial Group, a Fortune 250 company with over 10,000 employees, provides advice and solutions that help empower Americans to take charge of their financial lives with confidence. Our core business areas — Life Insurance, Annuities, Retirement Plan Services and Group Protection — focus on supporting, preserving and enhancing over 17 million customer’s lifestyles and retirement outcomes.
Headquartered in Radnor, Pennsylvania, Lincoln Financial Group is the marketing name for Lincoln National Corporation (NYSE: LNC) and its affiliates. The company had $253 billion in assets under management as of December 31, 2017.
Ranked one of the Best Large Employers in America by Forbes magazine, Lincoln Financial Group makes a serious investment in our employees’ futures through a broad range of wealth accumulation and protection plans, health and wellness programs, and career development resources designed to help each individual reach their personal and professional goals.
General Purpose of Job
As the VP, Business Analytics you will provide strategic leadership to achieve key business objectives for the Business Analytics and Data Science teams. You will establish and maintain industry-leading analytic capabilities across the Group Protection business unit from a COE organizational model. You will drive business value and actionable insights with cross-functional partners, including but not limited to Claims, Operations, Distribution, Finance, Product and Risk Management.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Leads and develops a team to establish and maintain industry-leading analytic capabilities from a COE organizational model to distribute and advise on advanced analytics & modeling skills across the business unit
- Leads a team of ‘analytics champions’ to educate the business and drive adoption and usage of data analytics to further business insights for strategy development and execution
- The Business Analytics and Data Science team will be comprised of a mix of analytic, actuarial and data science skill sets and resources, the leader of this team will be responsible for creating an environment where these teams are viewed as extensions of the functional area and are knowledgeable about the business processes and objectives of those areas.
- Oversight of the business analytics COE that is responsible for performing complex financial analyses, including predictive modeling and other advanced techniques that will optimize claims outcomes, sales effectiveness, improve the ability to achieve pricing targets and sales objectives, improve customer experience and achieve persistency targets.
- Leads team in supporting existing processes requiring complex analytics
- Ensures that top talent is hired and retained within the Business Analytics and Data Science teams.
- Builds organizational capability and leads/executes approved strategy within functional area
- Drives development and execution of an organization-wide analytics strategy that supports complex metrics, predictive analytics, other advanced techniques to optimize business objectives and achieving desired results, including profitability & persistency
- Provides strategic consulting, functional expertise, and thought leadership to executive/senior management & key business stakeholders on how various analytic and predictive modeling approaches can benefit their business areas
- Partners across various functional areas, including IT and other stakeholders in developing and executing on the long-term data strategy, with an emphasis on analytic enablement
- Serves as an ‘analytics champion’ educating the business to drive adoption and usage of data analytics to further business insights for strategy development and execution
- Identifies, analyzes, and interprets current & emerging complex developments/business trends, assesses impact, and shares insights with senior management to incorporate trends/developments in current & future strategies
- Maintains knowledge on current and emerging developments/trends, assesses the impact, and collaborates with executive/senior management to incorporate new trends and developments in current and future strategies.
- Utilization of technical skills in accessing and using data (SQL, SAS, etc.), predictive analytic and modeling skills (Python, R, etc.), data visualization (Tableau, Qlik, or other similar solution)
- Understand complex business challenges and develop appropriate analytic framework to address the issue; lead and coach team resources to be self-directed within their functional alignment.
- Leads the identification, development, and implementation of strategic process improvements that significantly reduce workloads or improve quality across the team, business unit, and/or the organization.
Education and Experience
- 4 Year/Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience (4 years of experience in lieu of Bachelor's) (Minimum Required)
- 12+ Years of progressively increasing experience in business analytics, modeling, and analytics strategy design directly aligned to the specific duties of this role, including 5+ years of managerial, supervisory, and/or demonstrated leadership experience. (Required)
- Actuarial and/or financial analytics experience strongly preferred
- Ancillary group insurance experience (Life, Disability, Dental, etc.) strongly preferred
- Experience with SQL, SAS, Python, R, Tableau or other data visualization and/or predictive modeling tools
- Travel Type: National Domestic
- Travel Amount: up to 50%
This position may be subject to Lincoln’s Political Contribution Policy. An offer of employment may be contingent upon disclosing to Lincoln the details of certain political contributions. Lincoln may decline to extend an offer or terminate employment for this role if it determines political contributions made could have an adverse impact on Lincoln’s current or future business interests, misrepresentations were made, or for failure to fully disclose applicable political contributions and or fundraising activities.
Any unsolicited resumes/candidate profiles submitted through our web site or to personal e-mail accounts of employees of Lincoln Financial Group are considered property of Lincoln Financial Group and are not subject to payment of agency fees.