Vice President, BioScience Communications
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Oversee at least one large or multiple mid-size accounts
- Act as key interface with client(s)
- Set the tone for teams in terms of client servicing expectations
- Lead strategy and overall vision for programs and projects
- Proactively deliver counsel and strategic guidance to clients
- Manage and operate all aspects of client account(s) with minimum oversight (including client relationships, budgeting/billing/profitability, sustaining/growing business, etc.)
- Identify problems that could damage client relationships or affect outcome of projections; identify and implement solutions
- Apply industry regulations and guidelines, as appropriate (incl. PhRMA, Sunshine, AMA, FDA, and OIG)
- Seek senior counsel/advice as appropriate
- Manage client expectations; arbitrate and lead solving of client problems
- Match client needs with the right BioScience capabilities and team. Identify opportunities to partner with additional DJE resources as appropriate
- Supervise all writing and editing by junior team members to ensure quality, consistency, and messaging
- Partner with editorial team members to properly integrate into team
- Gain an in-depth understanding of clients’ business goals, strategies, and needs, and, as a result, develop creative, relevant, strategic programs to further these aims
- Effectively lead the project management function
- Develop clear, crisp, strategic communications (e.g. memos, plans, emails, etc)
Product Capability and Development
- Possess a thorough understanding of client/agency relationships and a solid understanding of how to manage and operate a business
- Understand key client industry issues relating to products, product categories, technologies, primary and potential competition, and general issues facing the industry; understand key competitors’ business strategies
Financial Planning and Management
- Manage client budgets strategically
- Maintain appropriate team productivity levels
- Understand recent and projected financial performance
- Assist in developing RFP responses
- Assist in new business development activities
- Demonstrate confidence and knowledge in presenting for new business pitches
- Manage teams and actively promote the career development of direct reports
- Assist in the recruitment process, including interviews; demonstrate good selection skills
- Provide appropriate feedback to all team members
- Provide opportunities for team members to develop specific tactical skills
- Seek opportunities and resources to help the team develop on the job
- Contribute to 360o performance appraisal process for peers and managers
- Receive favorable 360o feedback
- Hold self and others consistently accountable for performance Initiate and engage in team-building activities
- Define clear vision of self regarding professional growth and development
- Demonstrate dedication to the BioScience team (proactively communicate whereabouts, keep teammates appraised of project status, etc.)
- Be open to constructive criticism and instructional conversations designed to help improve performance or team function
- Live Edelman values (excellence, curiosity, courage)
- Demonstrate professional behaviors and pursuit of excellence in all endeavors
- Project commitment and enthusiasm
The Vice President must have a minimum of 8years of experience in medical education/communication or equivalent, as well as expertise in at least one area of medical education or strong skills across multiple areas, strong oral and written communication skills, and strong interpersonal skills. The Vice President must possess proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Powerpoint.
The Vice President will oversee at least one large account or multiple mid-size client accounts, acting as key contact for client(s) and directing the strategy and vision for programs and projects.
S/he will also be responsible for managing account team members, including partnering with editorial team members to produce client ready deliverables on schedule and on budget.
S/he will be well organized, able to multi-task and prioritize for herself/himself as well as the team, and consistently model and use excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
Edelman is a leading global communications marketing firm that partners with many of the world’s largest and emerging businesses and organizations, helping them evolve, promote and protect their brands and reputations. Edelman was awarded the Grand Prix Cannes Lion for PR in 2014; six Cannes Lions in 2015; and the Grand Prix in the Titanium category in 2016.
The firm was named “2016 Global Agency of the Year” by the Holmes Report, and one of Advertising Age’s “Agencies to Watch” in 2014. In 2015, Edelman was among Glassdoor’s “Best Places to Work” for the fifth time. Edelman owns specialty firms Edelman Intelligence (research) and United Entertainment Group (entertainment, sports, experiential), a joint venture with United Talent Agency.