Reporting directly to the Corporate Controller, the Vice President and Assistant Controller will be responsible for technical accounting matters, global revenue, SEC reporting, accounting policies, and accounting controls at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, a publicly traded company with revenues in excess of $1.3 billion.
- Create technical memos on large, unusual or non-recurring transactions
- Ownership of accounting policy
- Ensure the proper revenue recognition in accordance with the revenue policy and generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) including, but not limited to multiple-element arrangements, software licenses and maintenance.
- Provide expertise on all revenue recognition practices and decisions for accounting, financial planning and analysis, sales, and product management, legal and billing contracts, and operations.
- Support the transition to ASC 606 standards
- Proactively build relationships with business operations and oversee design and documentation of key processes and controls.
- Responsible for managing and coordinating with our external audit team and resolving open items and any identified audit related matters
- Oversee all external reporting to SEC and other external sources, including but not limited to quarterly 10-Qs, annual 10-K, applicable 8-Ks, and offering memorandums.
- Establishes and maintains internal controls and policies to prevent inaccuracies in financial statements and establish best practices.
- Preparation of monthly metrics and quarterly financial updates
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, CPA
- Big 4 public accounting experiencerequired
- Strong information systems experience, experience with SAP a plus
- Experience with SEC Reporting and Revenue Recognition
- Working tax knowledge a plus, not required
- Must be a team player with strong interpersonal skills and client-service approach to role
- Strong analytical skills with an ability to think independently.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, interpersonal and presentation skills to interact with various levels of management.
- Ability to identify and execute operational excellence and continuous improvement initiatives to improve resource optimization.
- Previous experience managing teams
- Excellent opportunity for individual straight from public accounting
- Might be in a stationary position for a considerable time (sitting and/or standing).
- The person in this position needs to move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
- Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer.
- Must be able to collaborate with colleagues via face to face, conference calls, and online meetings