As the Vice President of ADP you will lead a highly talented team that is rapidly innovating new systems, feeding new technologies into our existing offerings and incubating new platforms to enable Blue Origin’s vision of millions of people living and working in space. In this position you will own and operate all aspects of the business unit, carrying direct P&L responsibility and engagement with both internal and external customers. As the VP you will directly impact the history of human space exploration creating program and technology roadmaps and executing on them.
- Create and lead a world-class, lean, entrepreneurial, cross-business research and development organization that has responsibility for external contracts as well as Blue’s internal investments in advancing key technologies and new system concepts.
- Develop technology roadmaps, their associated strategies, and execute on technology development to mature and onramp technologies into Blue product lines. This responsibility includes developing technology focus areas, such as, but not limited to, robotics, automation, IVHM/machine learning, advanced propulsion, deceleration systems, cryogenic fluid management, life support, in-space communications, nuclear power/propulsion and advanced manufacturing efforts (including Blue Origin’s additive manufacturing efforts).
- Develop, analyze and mature early concept studies. Rapidly iterate and advance them into projects with internal and external funding. Incubating them until projects mature into standalone business units.
- Work with commercial and government customers to capture external funding that aligns with our overall business strategies, and increases the pace of development towards fulfilling our long-term vision.
- Build business plans and strategies for creating new Blue Origin platform offerings at a component or manufacturing-level and set up an ability to commercialize Blue intellectual property.
- Organize evaluations of other companies/suppliers to support the technology needs and growth objectives of the organization.
- Manage Blue Origin’s university research.
- Be a visible and vocal voice for Blue Origin in our customer and public affairs communications.
- 10+ years senior (executive) leadership experience in aerospace and/or defense, including major development projects and technology and/or innovation organizations.
- Extensive knowledge of the space industry, key players, market and technology trends.
- Breadth of technical competence across multiple major space technologies
- Demonstrated success as a comprehensive leader – builder, operator, a passionate advocate for customer needs and an unyielding driver for successful business results.
- Ability to think and act both strategically and tactically, deal with ambiguity, manage changing priorities and influence others.
- Analytical and quantitative skills and ability to use hard data and metrics to back up assumptions and develop business cases, as well as the ability to clearly communicate insights to others.
- A rich history of identifying needs and inventing new ways to solve those needs, with a demonstrated bias towards action, prototyping and rapid iteration.
- Highly organized and capable of planning and guiding broad complex technical work.
- Able to identify problems, perform root cause analysis, and implement corrective actions.
- Passionate about space exploration and a future with millions of people living and working in space.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum
- Experience in generating significant revenue and managing a P&L and/or a technology organization
- Demonstrated advanced knowledge and experience in testing and flying aerospace systems.
- MBA preferred
- Masters in applicable Engineering field and highly proficient engineering skills