In this position you will be responsible for overseeing all accounting and financial reporting matters across Invenergy’s worldwide business. You will report to the Vice President, Corporate Finance in the company’s Chicago headquarters and manage several Director-level professionals (each with teams or sub teams) with 40-50 total employees that oversee matters on corporate accounting, project accounting, accounts payable, global consolidation, financial reporting and internal controls, both domestic and international. This role works in close coordination with the Vice President, Tax and Vice President, Treasury & Financial Planning.
This position provides the opportunity to manage several teams totaling approximately 40-50 professionals in a fast-growing organization in the exciting clean energy sector. The successful candidate will have proven experience working in complex organizations that are undergoing rapid growth and transformation. This position is best-suited for an ambitious, initiative-taking and career-focused individual with division Controller (or similar) experience who is seeking a demanding role with high exposure to senior management. We are looking for someone who has the right balance of both personal energy and proven experience to excel in this position.
- Ultimate individual responsible for execution and coordination of key operational finance and financial compliance matters with respect to accounting and financial reporting, in a fast-paced and highly transactional organization. The company executes between 50-75 transactions per year requiring detailed accounting analysis and execution.
- Oversee execution of the financial reporting function including issuance of audited annual and quarterly unaudited financials, managing “Big 4” audit dynamics, with strict attention to deadlines and evolving US GAAP and IFRS guidance. The company issues over 50 annual audit reports which requires thorough planning and crisp execution.
- Developing the optimal structure for the accounting team, with consideration for the right combination of internal and external resources, in order to deliver highly efficient cost-competitive accounting services to the company and our partners.
- Apply an innovative mindset and fresh thinking towards simplifying and /or eliminating obsolete, unnecessary or redundant accounting processes.
- Attract, develop, retain, and lead a high-caliber team of accounting professionals.
- Provide oversight for the “procure-to-pay” function with respect to accounts payables, aging management, vendor management, 1099 and other standard A/P responsibilities.
- Ensure tight controls over financial operations by assessing potential weaknesses and proposing innovative and “best practices” solutions as company evolves. Strong focus on maintaining documentation standards across the subgroups and teams.
- Standardizing international financial operations including the coordination of international third-party services providers and global consolidation of financials.
- Serve as a primary point of contact for presenting the financial statements of the company to senior management and outside investors. Able to not just provide the numbers, but also to explain the “why” in relation to our business operations and activities.
- Serve as an effective “go to” resource for other Vice Presidents and other senior leaders within the company to consider and propose effective solutions for the needs of the business.
- Approximately 15+ years of experience in accounting functions, with strong technical knowledge and a demonstrated progression of managerial responsibility. “Big 4” firm experience and a CPA is highly desired for the position.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or finance related field. Additional advanced credentials (Master’s in Accounting / MBA) strongly preferred.
- Emphasis placed on efficient, timely execution of initiatives and deliverables. The Company is a fast-paced environment that is very transaction /deal heavy with the need to adapt to quickly evolving circumstances.
- Experienced in managing not just a team of individuals, but multiple teams and interdepartmental dynamics with a perspective of balancing individual department and manager needs against what is best for the company.
- Passionate about innovation and finance transformation, introducing technology to generate back-office efficiencies.
- Proven capability to propose and implement “best practice” controls, policies and procedures and maintaining standards through creation of KPIs and other metrics.
- Engaged in following and understanding domestic and international accounting trends and its impact on the business.
- Experienced and effective in negotiating engagement letters or contracts with accounting service providers with the objective of achieving excellent commercial terms for the company.
- Proven ability to earn credibility and work collaboratively across functions including Tax, Treasury, Financial Planning & Analysis, Risk Management, Structured Finance, Portfolio Finance, M&A and Development.
- Combination of public and private company experience, with exposure to energy/renewables industry. Invenergy is privately held so Sarbanes Oxley 404 and related public-company requirements are not applicable however could be informative for this position.
- Experience with Oracle Fusion Cloud (our current ERP platform) is a plus.
- Experience with international financial operations as well as eliminations and consolidations activity commonly found in complex multinational corporations is strongly desired.
- Background with implementation, integration and upgrades of accounting software solutions is strongly desired. Familiarity with trends in accounting technology and IT systems a plus.
- Ability to drive execution with a positive “can do” demeanor along with a strong capacity for composure and patience in a fast-paced environment while balancing multiple priorities at a given time.
- Ability to win “hearts and minds” while managing through growth and change.
- Gifted at motivating, mentoring and coaching employees in connection with their professional development and retention. Proven and able to handle the employee matters with a balance of discretion, directness, empathy and tact.
- Low ego needs – able to execute collaboratively with a perspective of shared success.
- Exceptional oral and written communicator to internal senior management, team leaders and external parties. Persuasive on matters relating to change management.
- Unquestionable integrity with a commitment to teamwork, maintaining positive morale and the professional growth of more junior team members.
- The Company emphasizes a collegial and team-oriented culture with respect for all employees - the successful candidate for this position should embrace this as a personal core value.