We are UMG, the Universal Music Group. We are the world’s leading music company. In everything we do, we are committed to artistry, innovation, and entrepreneurship. We own and operate a broad array of businesses engaged in recorded music, music publishing, merchandising, and audiovisual content in more than 60 countries. We identify and develop recording artists and songwriters, and we produce, distribute, and promote the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful music to delight and entertain fans around the world.
How we LEAD:
Universal Music Enterprises (UMe) is the centralized U.S. catalog entity for the Universal Music Group. Working closely in concert with all of the company’s record labels, UMe provides a frontline approach to catalog management, a greater emphasis on strategic marketing initiatives and opportunities in new and emerging technologies. We manage a diverse and expansive catalog spanning the entire history of recorded music and nearly every genre of music from such renowned record labels as Capitol, Interscope, Def Jam, Geffen, A&M, Motown, Island, and Virgin. The UMe catalog roster includes many of the most iconic and legendary artists of all time, including The Beatles, Bob Marley, The Rolling Stones, Eminem, Stevie Wonder, Nirvana, and Kanye West.
UMe is seeking a creative music Executive with A&R experience, catalog music knowledge, passion, and strong music understanding to join our catalog A&R team as a Vice President of A&R. This role is based in Santa Monica, CA.
How you’ll CREATE:
- Create innovative ways to develop opportunities that will drive consumption and relevance of the UMe catalog.
- Develop content for, and engage audiences on, video and audio platforms across artists and genres
- Identify and position UMe’s existing catalog to generate revenue with new ideas that would drive innovative opportunities for our artists.
- Partner with artists & managers to ensure you develop creative audio and visual opportunities that drive catalog consumption.
- Ideate a new A&R catalog strategy and communicate with all relevant departments of UMe.
- Execute full A&R lifecycle, from research to the recording/production process to release.
- Oversee and be accountable for project expenditures & budgets.
- Partner cross-functionally with other label departments/employees including Marketing, Digital, Publicity, Promotion, and Commerce to ensure recorded material is commercially successful.
- Develop and maintain relationships with industry insiders (managers, agents, attorneys, promoters, radio programmers, retail trade and consumer press, etc.).
- Work with suitable producers, writers/co-writers, sound engineers, and recording studios.
Bring your VIBE:
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in the music business with cutting edge industry knowledge.
- Leadership experience; you must be able to drive internal and external stakeholders toward creating new opportunities for our artists, building relationships along the way.
- Proven track record initiating, originating, managing, and successfully completing all relevant aspects of recorded music releases and projects.
- Knowledge and experience in digital/streaming formats & platforms including playlist compilations, programming, and content curation.
- Experience successfully managing A&R and budget process for a product release from origination to product completion.
- Cutting edge knowledge of today’s music industry environment including streaming/digital platforms.
- Understanding the relevance of the catalog business and how to create more relevance for the catalog
- Provide creative input on, and drive innovation for artist's material.
- Must possess a passion for all genres of music and the ability to separate/identify what’s commercially viable.
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills and time management skills; ability to influence and negotiate.
- A pro-active self-starter with strong problem solving and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to wear many hats, working on everything from research to release.
- Must be able to multi-task, ensure meticulous attention to detail, prioritize, and work well under pressure & deadlines in a fast-paced, high volume environment.
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with artists, managers, attorneys, etc.
- Must be able to travel and attend showcases as required.
- Work well independently, take initiative, identify potential issues & successfully problem-solve with sound business deliverables.
- Effectively optimize processes and efficiencies and manage budgets.
- Bachelor’s degree in music, marketing, communication, business, or related major preferred.
- Competitive Compensation Package including Salary, Benefits and Generous 401k Savings Plan
- Paid Time Off – Paid Holidays, “Gift Week”, Summer Fridays
- Student Loan Repayment Assistance
- Employee Developmental Support
- Annual Gym Reimbursement Package
- Pet Insurance, plus much more!
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer