This individual has two critical roles within the Services organization of PetSmart.
1) They are the leader of pet safety in Services; driving strategy to eliminate injuries and improve quality. They are the subject matter expert with regards to medical review and guidance within our services area including but not limited to Training, PetsHotel, Doggie Day Camp and Salon.
2) They are the project leader for our Veterinary department within Services which consists of three different business models; Banfield vets in our stores, Shot Clinics and Independent Vet Operators in our stores. They manage the relationship with our partners from a business and vet perspective, and partner with Store Operations, Finance and Legal to manage the businesses.
KEY COMPETENCIESattributed to, but are not limited to the following:
Exhibits technical or functional knowledge
Communicates for impact
Acts with a sense of urgency
Holds self and others accountable
Encourages diversity of thoughts and actions
Priority setting and ability to manage multiple priorities at once
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIESToday there are no direct reports to this position, but this will likely change as we sign on more Independent Vets into our stores.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIESinclude, but are not limited to:
- Key partner Safety consulting on root cause of incidents, significant incidents and mitigation of brand risk
- Medical review of incidents to determine cause of illness or injury and relation to PetSmart services.
- Medical Subject Matter expert on external marketing and business communications.
- Subject matter expert for care of pets in services during store emergency situations.
- Accountable for the development and implementation of emergency processes i.e. evacuation, power failure etc. for the services team
- Accountable for the development of the annual safety certification for all services employees
Services Business Innovation:
- Evaluate new services, trainings, products, techniques, etc. as they relate to the quality and safety
- Review safety data sheets and testing trials for new services products
- Support store operations and services as well as the learning team on associate education initiatives
- Perform store visits if and when necessary
- Review of all cleaning Policy and Procedures and partners with business to determine best solution for our needs
Veterinary Business Dept
- Key liaison to Banfield for day-to-day issues and operations
- Lead partner for Shot Vets and VIP Petcare, our two partners for Shot Clinics in our stores – handle all store communications and analysis of tests to determine right partner to move forward with
- Internal vet partner for all Independent Vet Operators in our stores
- Project leader for vet projects – managing all supporting functions on project (legal, finance, real estate, operations, marketing)
Internal Dog and Cat expert for Marketing and Proprietary brand team
- Review of marketing content for accuracy
- Support corporate communication team with content and data
- Member of Pet Nutrition council
TRAVELThe role will include 10-15% travel.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM)
- An Arizona State Veterinary Medical License (if not already licensed) must be obtained within 6 months of hire.
- A minimum of 5 years of veterinary experience with dogs and cats
- Ability to strategically evaluate processes and define operating plans for execution
- Experience with boarding facilities or shelter management
- Significant knowledge around dog behavior and training
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with ability to work effectively with team members
- Ability to collect and analyze data. Ability to develop and execute processes.
- Experience with the business operations within services
- Demonstrate innovative problem solving skills and the ability to conduct multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks, and to work with shifting priorities and schedules.
- Proficiency in Microsoft suite of products required