Vans District Manager
"It was never about waving the brand like a flag, it was always about the people" – Paul Van Doren
Vans is the original action sports footwear company rooted in authenticity and creativity. Founded in 1966, Vans has thrived on a legacy of impacting our greater community through Vans’ four pillars: action sports, music, art and street culture. We are constantly inspired by the creative expressers within our company and community as they bring new and innovative perspectives to help shape and transform the future of our business.
Vans is a subsidiary of VF, the world’s largest retail company comprised of over 30 brands and on the road to reaching 17 billion by 2017. We are the leading drivers of retail as our global footwear, apparel and accessory brand is available in 170 countries worldwide. As we continue to expand, we take great measures in developing our growing number of individuals through our distinct learning culture.
Vans is founded on a culture of learning. We take great pride in our ability to facilitate learning opportunities by providing the resources and tools necessary to build each individual’s personal strengths to achieve future goals. In order to prioritize career growth within our company, Vans offers courses on topics such as Leadership, Communication, Collaboration and Technical Skills to ensure our employees are self-motivated and developing to the pace of our rapidly, growing business.
By joining the Vans family, you will be immersed into an environment of incredibly supportive and collaborative folk. We work very hard across a multitude of large initiatives to bring the Van Doren spirit to life. We live for what we do.
Be the Next Member of the Van Doren Family- District Manager
As the District Manager, your will have full ownership over independent judgment and discretion in developing and articulating strategies to drive the entire district's business. The District Manager motivates and inspires the store leadership teams to provide excellence in merchandising presentation, customer experience, and operational execution. The District Manager provides the leadership and direction to each Store Manager and store team to create an environment that ensures customer satisfaction, maximum productivity and profitability by translating and implementing company and brand developed business plans and strategies. Establish control-related standards and procedures.
How you will move the needle:
1. Hires, trains, and develops store leadership team ensuring recruitment from a diverse applicant pool. Monitors and approves all hiring plans for all stores in the district. Ensures that stores achieve optimal staffing levels and provide a quality on-boarding experience for all employees.
2. Assesses the effectiveness of Store Managers and store leadership team by providing the appropriate level of performance feedback. Creates development and training plans for Store Managers and as needed, other store leadership team members. Develops and strategies succession plans for store leadership positions. Accountable for Performance Appraisal process for all store teams.
3. Analyze district reports to identify ways to leverage opportunities to maximize sales. Evaluates store sales and payroll goals on a daily bases using key business reports and payroll tools. Monitors and measures financial, operational, human resources, and customer service results, and holds teams accountable for achieving district goals through ongoing store visits
4. Accountable for meeting district payroll and expense budgets and for brand appropriate strategic merchandising execution to maximize sales
5. Ensures compliance and adherence to policies and procedures, standards and practices, and company directives. Protects company assets. Ensures compliance with company security and shrink avoidance policies and programs. Partners with Regional Loss Prevention Manager to identify trends and translate regional strategy into action to meet District shrink goals.
6. Ensures excellence in customer service in all stores by modeling Vans' service standards as well as by monitoring customer feedback and responding to and addressing all customer concerns quickly. Responsible for the resolution of any escalated customer situation in the district. Leads and inspires customer centric culture by recognizing and rewarding teams.
7. Addresses challenges such as sales, leadership issues, profitability, staff management and competitive concerns. Resolves escalated employee relations, performance, and service issues in partnership with the Regional Director and Human Resources Manager
8. Models behavior that respects the background, experience, and cultural differences of others, while upholding the integrity and values of Vans.
9. Promotes an environment that encourages participation, creativity, and learning by sharing best practices and building on the ideas of others within districts and across regions.
10. Acts as a liaison between field operations and corporate office partners and takes on additional special projects assigned by Regional Director.
Skills for Success
Years of Related Professional Experience: 5+ year's management experience in a highly complex, multi-unit retail business environment Associates Degree (AA) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school; or three years related multi-store experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience preferred Proven ability to meet/exceed sales and profit results Proven ability to meet current and future business goals through continuous identification and development of store management talent. Proven ability to build and leverage relationships with peers, corporate partners, and the business community to positively impact business decisions. Proven ability to adapt quickly to ambiguity and allocate time to execute multiple tasks and changing priorities. Ability to work a flexible schedule to meet the needs of the business; will require weekends, evenings, and holidays.