Harris Corporation is a leading technology innovator, solving customers' toughest mission-critical challenges by providing solutions that connect, inform and protect. Harris supports government and commercial customers in more than 100 countries and has approximately $6 billion in annual revenue. The company is organized into three business segments: Communication Systems, Space and Intelligence Systems and Electronic Systems. Learn more at harris.com
Our supply chain and engineering CoE (Center of Excellence) is a high visibility team at Harris Corporation with the purpose of enabling strategic tools and delivering results through its partnerships with the Harris business segments. Within the CoE, the Engineering team applies the methodology, framework, tools and training that enable best practice application of should cost models, value engineering and product teardowns. As a member of this center-led team, you will have the opportunity to be trained in the leading A&D should cost modelling software tools and gain experience with the broader Harris products, systems and processes. Responsibilities include:
- Become the SME (Subject Matter Expert) on Value Engineering processes including coordinating Value Engineering events to manage brainstorming with cross functional teams and then prioritize cost savings ideas.
- Influence design solutions and system architecture through early Value Engineering engagement in the (CheckPoint) development cycle, including program use of the enterprise data warehouse (Expo) tool, PLM suites, and should cost model toolset for all major designs and business pursuits.
- Drive innovation into products through design evaluations with high-impact suppliers and use of Design to Value principles to improve Harris competitive advantage.
- Work with category managers and operations teams to identify value engineering and VE Event opportunities.
- Help develop and deliver training modules to Harris team members as part of the Supply Chain Excellence Academy (SCEA) initiative. Train and educate Harris engineering and supply chain associates in Value Engineering methodology and negotiations, with emphasis on building technical knowledge relevant to cost model toolset.
- Support the implementation of value engineering and product teardown events.
- This position can be based in Melbourne, Florida or Rochester, New York.
- Travel approximately 20-25%.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or another related technical field (Electrical, Systems, Manufacturing)
- 7+ years engineering experience preferably focusing on the design and/or manufacturing of electrical and/or electro-mechanical products.
- Design for Manufacturability experience including the effects of manufacturing costs that are driven by product design.
- Experience in CAD and PLM (Product Lifecycle Management) software.
- Lean manufacturing and/or six sigma experience.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Technical aptitude and ability to drive knowledge transfer in area of expertise.
- Cost estimating experience and financial acumen.
- Strong analytical skills with ability to interpret and synthesize complex data sets.
- Ability to work with multiple sources of data and assumptions, generate effective scenario and sensitivity analysis to test and refine estimates.
- Ability to challenge the status quo costing, and work with category managers to bridge gaps and search for new opportunities.
- Graduate degree in Engineering and/or MBA.
- Subject matter expert with comprehensive knowledge of job area and in-depth knowledge of project management.
- Product tear downs and/or Value Engineering experience.
- Experience working with supply chain and/or suppliers.