As our User Researcher, you fuse the science of design with a passion for uncovering insights used to build products that customers love. You have a proven track record of designing and delivering a wide range of research projects and programs, and are comfortable with traditional and new approaches in recruitment, methodology and reporting. Usability, eye tracking, diaries, contextual inquiry, interviews, shadowing, evaluative or generative… whatever the method, qualitative or quantitative, you are an action-oriented deep-thinker who brings a fresh perspective and expert point of view to your work. You are as comfortable facilitating a lab study as you are diving deep into statistical analysis, and working across the product lifecycle.
Lastly and importantly, you’re a goal-driven, big-ideas person, happiest at the intersection of entertainment, technology, and design, taking great pleasure in this role even on the most challenging of days.
About our Team
We believe great design comes from fusing the art and science of design. We are a rapidly growing, multi-disciplinary, centralized design team. We bring our “super powers” to bear on design challenges and create something more powerful in its simplicity and ease of use than any of us could, individually. We have established our credibility and are influencing major product decisions.
The Role and Responsibilities
In this role, you will reveal problems and opportunities with our user experiences through primary and secondary research, evaluating prototypes and competitor products, collaborating across the company to develop and refine new features and products. Your research will inspire the best decisions at all stages of product development and make our user experiences feel more useful, intuitive, and delightful.
- Help refine and deliver the vision of a UX Research program with an indispensable influence on design, product requirements and planning, and business.
- Work closely with UX, product management and engineering in a highly collaborative environment to define and execute user studies from a platform (i.e. TV/mobile) to a feature (i.e. product setup) level using the right tools, processes, and strategies.
- Hands-on work across all stages of user research, including, but not limited to, gathering requirements, developing research plans, recruiting, conducting studies, analyzing data, managing vendors, and reporting.
- Balance experimental rigor and integrity with agility, flexibility, and practicality.
- Proactively identify and scope key research needs and opportunities.
- Design and develop effective research methods and approaches to handle the full spectrum of needs from field studiesto formal summative usability studies.
- Analyze data, develop genuine insights, communicate clearly, define experience outcomes, design principles, and establish UX success criteria.
- Develop all needed research materials (interview protocols, usability test scripts, screeners, etc.).
- 10+ years of demonstrable experience in user research of consumer products with an excellentcommand of both qualitative and quantitative methods.
- Excellent communication skills, i.e. the ability to communicate your research findings in creative and impactful ways, combined with a strong attention to detail
- Experience with some of the following research methods and tools:
- Formative qualitative research like ethnography, contextual enquiry, workplace interviews, Jobs to Be Done, diary studies, competitive analysis etc.
- Evaluative qualitative research including in-person and remote usability & user testing, lab studies, RITE studies, intercept interviews, task analysis etc.
- Quantitative research, survey research, experimental design, A/B tests, benchmarking, log data analysis
- Experience using any of the following: survey tools (Qualtrics, SurveyMonkey), video editing tools (Adobe Premiere, Final Cut), Usertesting.com, Inspectlet, Userzoom, Respondent.io, Ethnio)
- Best-in-class portfolio showcasing user research impact and influence on product, design and business decisions.
- Experience conducting cross-platform (mobile, web, TV, voice) user research.
- Master’s degree in HCI, human factors, cognitive or experimental psychology, anthropology, or related field; advanced degree preferred.
Characteristics of success at Roku
- Self-motivated individual who takes ownership
- Positive attitude
- Non political
- Results oriented
- Hands on and team oriented
- Desire to win in a highly competitive environment
- Ability to adjust plan and react as needed