As a User Experience (UX) leader, you help define and drive the future of Google design. You identify and set product strategy, envision complex UX ecosystems and inspire teams to push the boundaries of what’s possible. You possess a clear vision of the future of user experience and have the courage to pursue forward-thinking design.
In this role, you will apply your passion for brand, craft, and design fidelity to guide research and design processes, mentor talented members of your team, and collaborate with leaders of other UX and Engineering teams to create innovative experiences across all of Google’s products.
Geo is seeking a UX Director for Google Maps, reporting to the Geo Head of Design. This role will partner with Product and Engineering teams to develop amazing end to end experiences that speak to Geo’s mission for our flagship product on all platforms (Android, iOS, automotive, desktop) and delivered to over 1 billion users worldwide.
The success of this role will depend greatly on the strength of the various partnerships developed within Geo and across Google. As the Geo Product Area is distributed globally, you will be an exceptional organizational lead, driving collaboration, transparency, and clarity between multiple offices, teams, and functions. The wide distribution of the team demands a lead with excellent communication skills -- you are someone who is as astute at deciphering the nuances of a problem, as you are comfortable at articulating and representing the UX viewpoint.
In addition to the organizational complexity of this role, there is a strong product design component required. The current team of leads that would report to this role are seasoned and deeply knowledgeable about their respective product/feature areas (e.g. local discovery, directions, commute, etc.). You will be a unifying force and voice for the team, working closely with them to craft a greater design vision that goes beyond any single feature area. You will be an outstanding design thinker with strong user-instincts and product intuition, one who can work with their leads to drive new ideas through influence and persuasion.
As a User Experience (UX) Director, you help define and drive the future of Google design. You identify and set product strategy, envision complex UX ecosystems and inspire teams to push the boundaries of what’s possible. You possess a clear vision of the future of user experience and have the courage to pursue forward-thinking design.
In this role, you will apply your passion for excellent user experiences to guide research and design processes, develop and grow talented members of your team, and fully enable your teams to create the best possible experiences across all of Geo’s surfaces.
User experience (UX) is at the forefront of how we create intuitive, innovative, and beautiful products that people love. We strive to learn and understand our users’ needs, behaviors, and emotions to yield insights that inform product strategy and guide the design of the experiences we create. Our multidisciplinary UX teams include designers, researchers, content strategists, and engineers who are passionate about quality, usability, and performance. We collaborate closely with product managers, software engineers, and many others to solve complex challenges and craft powerful experiences that highlight our products’ unique capabilities and personalities. Our work touches billions while exemplifying a key principle that is core to Google’s philosophy: “Focus on the user and all else will follow.”
- Bring compelling product vision to Google Maps, working with Product Managers, Engineers, and UX teams across Google. Lead all phases of UX design work: research, concepts, prototypes, detailed design, and implementation, as well as create strategic roadmaps and manage multiple complex schedules to on-time delivery.
- Provide leadership, direction, and mentorship across a multi-disciplinary organization of interaction designers, researchers, visual designers, prototypers, writers, motion designers, and program managers; Work with your UX leads to develop and deliver upon a UX vision for our consumer experience (Maps, Discovery, Local Search), along with a plan for evolutionary, iterative releases, that actualize the larger vision over time.
- Build strong relationships and operating rhythms with leaders inside and outside of Geo, to drive user experiences that are cohesive, inclusive, and well-informed.
- Foster Google’s culture and principles within the group, while setting new standards in executional excellence.
- Advocate for users in a scrappy, fast-paced environment -- imparting day-to-day design leadership that fosters a shared understanding of the user-centric intersection between design, content, business, and engineering.
- BA/BS degree in Design, HCI or Interaction, or equivalent practical experience.
- 15 years of experience in a c-level leadership role creating strategy and designing products.
- Experience working collaboratively with senior designers, product managers and engineers.
- Outstanding UX portfolio, demonstrating clear insights, problem solving, and simple solutions.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to listen, articulate positions, and advocate designs.