The Utilities & Environment Manager will be dedicated to the managing the core functions of safety and health for all aspects of NAS Patuxent River Public Works Department maintenance and operation support services and ensures compliance for all contract operations for the following locations: Naval Air Station, (Patuxent River, Maryland), Webster Field Annex, St. Inigoes, Maryland; Solomon’s Annex, Solomon's, Maryland; and Point Lookout, Maryland. The utilities systems component is responsible for overseeing the maintenance and repair of potable water distribution systems, storm water collection systems, electrical systems, fuel distribution systems, dual temperature pipes, steam pipes, propane plants, and associated structures and appurtenances on the base. The position will support a wide variety of environmental compliance and project execution requirements under the following technical areas: Air Quality and Clean Air Act Compliance, Safe Drinking Water Act Compliance, Clean Water Act Compliance (both Storm Water and Wastewater), Waste Management, Storage Tank and Assets Compliance, Spill Preparedness and Planning Compliance, Sustainability Work, Lead Based Paint and Asbestos, Environmental Management System and Compliance Auditing Support. The candidate will provide technical support to project managers, crafts personnel and customer environmental management personnel.
- Manages maintenance and repair activities of assigned facilities and systems which include planning, coordinating, administering, and evaluating operations, repairs, and maintenance of potable water distribution systems, storm water collection systems, electrical systems, and fuel distribution systems.
- Exercises daily management, operational, and administrative control of all resources.
- Ensures active compliance of all operations and maintenance (O&M) activities and personnel with quality program and continuous improvement objectives.
- Maintains close relationship with Government counterparts to ensure that work efforts are aligned with customer priorities and schedules.
- Coordinates joint maintenance efforts with other onsite contractors to ensure timely completion resulting in minimal impact to the customer.
- Allocates personnel and assets to support changes in work requirements, emergencies or contingency operations without degradation of other commitments.
- Anticipates future trends in personnel and material requirements.
- Coordinates efforts of other company operational groups in preparing or responding to specifications or requirements.
- Ensures all repair work and system operations are within applicable codes and comply with State and Federal regulations.
- Writes operating procedures and decides best practices.
- Responsible for maintaining contacts with vendors/contractors for the requisition of supplies and materials, keeping of accurate inventory, and making sure that all critical spare parts are always available by ordering their replenishment when needed.
- Reviews and approves purchase orders and vendor/contractor agreements.
- Ensures crew safety, implements appropriate safety practices, and enforces proper PPE usage; provides crew training; evaluates the performance of branch staff.
- 10+ years’ experience with responsible oversight of utility systems on federal installations or with public utilities for a municipality
- 8years’ experience with regulatory compliance, including OSHA, EPA and FAR
- Developed supervisory skills with proven ability to direct customer focused teams providing maintenance and repair services
- Strong skills in MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Project Experience with RS Means cost estimating software is a strength
- Proven ability to manage and coordinate activities of staff engaged in planning and scheduling of maintenance and repair work
- Strong communication and leadership skills across all departments and sections. Ability to gain cooperation, coordinate the work of others, and build a cohesive team.
- Capability to adjust work operations to meet emergency or changing program or production requirements within available resources and with minimum sacrifice to quantity and quality of work.
- Ability to establish program objectives or performance goals and assess progress
- Ability to analyze organizational and operational problems and develop timely and economical solutions.
- Knowledge of NEPA requirements and legal precedents and related Federal environmental laws and requirements is required.
- Knowledge of NEPA compliance procedures, policy and guidance is required.
- Ten years of increasingly responsible utilities management experience, including five years of administrative and supervisory responsibility supplemented by a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in business administration, public administration, accounting, engineering, environmental science, or a related field desired.
- Knowledge of a variety of scientific/engineering/environmental disciplines relevant to environmental impact analyses is highly desired.
- Knowledge of Resource Consultations (such as cultural, terrestrial, marine mammal) in support of NEPA; ability to develop recommendations for mitigation of adverse environmental impacts and/or other measures to avoid confrontation and/or regulatory delays is highly desired.
- Ability to think independently; excellent communication skills, both written and oral, as well as customer service skills due to daily interaction with various levels of rank, authority, positions, both military and civilians is highly desired.
- Minimum of five years relevant NEPAexperience is required.
- Possess a current Certified Hazardous Material Managers (CHMM) or a National Registry of Environmental Professionals Registered Environmental Manager (REM) qualification