General Atomics Aeronautical Systems, Inc. (GA-ASI), an affiliate of General Atomics, is a world leader in proven, reliable remotely piloted aircraft and tactical reconnaissance radars, as well as advanced high-resolution surveillance systems.
We have an exciting opportunity for an Urgent Field Support (UFS) Engineer in our Engineering Field Support (EFS) group at GA-ASI. Under general supervision with limited review, this position is responsible for determining and developing effective approaches to quickly resolve a wide range of difficult, multidisciplinary engineering problems encountered on fielded systems. The UFS department's focus is to keep the fleet flying, one aircraft or GCS at a time. This primarily includes providing engineering troubleshooting, repair, or rework recommendations that are typically outside the scope of released technical documentation. Investigations are normally conducted in an expeditious manner through coordination with functional engineering departments to determine root cause and appropriate corrective action to return grounded assets to service. After investigations are completed, findings and corrective actions are documented, communicated directly to our customers and engineering staff, and compiled in technical deliverables, as required.DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Be able to work a rotating on-call schedule for off-hour support.
- Obtain and maintain technical system-level knowledge of GA-ASI aircraft, ground control stations, and associated hardware; related operational procedures; and maintenance processes in order to understand discrepancies and failures related to the products and generate appropriate corrective action.
- Author memorandums and presentations for fielded asset anomaly investigations to GA-ASI technical staff, executive leadership, and/or customer(s).
- Troubleshoot, analyze, and determine rework direction by utilizing standard engineering and scientific principles.
- Interface with design engineers, field support engineers, program managers, maintenance technicians, technical writers, pilots, and other professional staff to coordinate operational or maintenance work-arounds, improved procedures, software updates, or hardware modifications as required in response to field incidents.
- Direct the activities of designers and technicians and potentially direct the activities of less experienced professional staff.
- Represent the organization to GA-ASI's customers in describing solutions to technical issues associated with specific anomalies.
- Maintain the strict confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Travel and provide support as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Observe all laws, regulations, and other applicable obligations wherever and whenever business is conducted on behalf of the Company.
- Work in a safe manner in accordance with established operating procedures and practices
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
- Typically requires a bachelor's degree, master's degree, or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience as follows: nine or more years of experience with a bachelor's degree, seven or more years of experience with a master's degree, or four or more years with a PhD. May substitute equivalent engineering experience in lieu of education.
- Must have a broad understanding of multi-disciplinary engineering concepts, principles, and theory; experience demonstrating a broad application of those concepts; and, expanding knowledge of principles, concepts, theory, and practices in related technical specialties.
- Must possess the ability to understand new concepts quickly; apply them accurately throughout an evolving environment; organize, schedule, and coordinate work phases; and determine the appropriate approach at the task level or, with assistance, at the project level to provide solutions to a range of complex problems.
- Must be able to work extended hours, as required.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a secret level or above security clearance.
- Must have excellent communication, computer, documentation, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
- Must have the ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Must be able to perform complex tasks in multiple engineering areas.
- Must be able to lead a team of less experienced professional employees on semi-routine tasks.