IBM Global Business Services (GBS) is a team of business, strategy and technology consultants enabling enterprises to make smarter decisions and providing unparalleled client and consumer experiences in cognitive, data analytics, cloud technology and mobile app development. With global reach, outcome-focused methodologies and deep industry expertise, IBM GBS empowers clients to digitally reinvent their business and get the competitive edge in the cognitive era in over 170 countries.
Bottom line? We outthink ordinary. Discover what you can do at IBM.
This position is for a Systems Administrator for a mixed and growing environment of Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Solaris UNIX (v10).
This Systems Administrator will
- work with the existing UNIX team to manage, maintain, deploy, troubleshoot and support servers for a mixed customer environment
- assist with implementing new system hardware and software
- provide input for developing local operating procedures and policies
- will need to be adept at monitoring the ongoing operation of the servers
- providing utilizationreports to identify problems and corrective actions
IBM is hiring this position to be located at our Rocket Center, West Virginia office (near Cumberland, MD). United States Citizenship, relocation to the Rocket Center area, and a Secret Clearance are required.
The Public Service Sector consulting practice is a trusted advisor to federal, state and local governments, partnering to meet challenges and responding quickly to citizen demands, business needs, new economic conditions, and changing legislative priorities and policies
Our goal is to be essential to the world, which starts with our people. Company wide we kicked off aninternal talent strategy program called Go Organic. At our core, we are committed to believing andinvesting in our workforce through:
- Skill development: helping our employees grow their foundational skills
- Finding the dream job at IBM: navigating our company with the potential for many careers by channeling an employee’s strengths and career aspirations
- Diversity of people: Diversity of thought driving collective innovation
In 2015, Go Organic filled approximately 50% of our open positions with internal talent that were promoted into the role.
With an employee population of 375,000 in over 170 countries, amazingly we connect, collaborate, and care. IBMers drive a corporate culture of shared responsibility. We love grand challenges and everyday improvements for our company and for the world. We care about each other, our clients, and the communities we live, work, and play in!
State / Province
City / Township / Village
IBM Business Group
Primary job category
Secondary Job Category
Role ( Job Role )
New Collar Role
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Minimum of 5 years of experience as a Unix Systems Administrator, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Solaris 10, shell scripting, networking concepts (VLANs, routing, firewalls, subnetting),
- working knowledge of server virtualization technologies (e.g. VMware), SAN/storage concepts (LUNs, HBAs), logical volume management, NFS,
- working knowledge of OS security best practices, configuring/managing/updating large groups of servers.
- Detailed knowledge of zfs and vxfs file systems,
- Experience with Sun M series and T series servers
- Experience with HP DL 580's and 380's
- Administration of Solaris 10 and Red Hat 5 and 6 VM's
- Experience should be mostly centered around the OS, not applications
- Secure Technical Implementation Guide (STIG) process.
- Experience administering enterprise level large groups of servers is a must
Preferred Technical and Professional Experience
- PerlScripting, Red Hat Virtualization, LDAP, Puppet
- Use of the Remedy Change and Incident management system
United States-DoD Secret
High School Diploma/GED
Early Professional Track
Not Applicable - Professional Hire
Is this role a commissionable/sales incentive based position?