Exciting career opportunities and a great company to work for! L.L.Bean has something for anyone who wants to build a successful career. Love of the outdoors is a common thread among our employees, whether they enjoy active outdoor interests or more casual, relaxed weekend activities. And we’re as passionate about technology as we are about the outdoors. While we let tradition guide us, we are on the cutting edge of leveraging new technologies to drive performance.
L.L.Bean is currently searching for a UNIX/Linux Systems Engineer to join the Information Services division’s Infrastructure Engineering team based in Freeport, Maine. As a member of this team the successful candidate would support L.L.Bean’s business goals through engineering and support of distributed computer system software and hardware in a global retail enterprise.
Responsible for the engineering and support of hardware and operating systems; supporting database management systems and database administrators; supporting application environments, including IBM Websphere and ISV solutions; and core infrastructure competencies, including regulatory compliance, SAN-attached servers, automation, and scripting.
- Builds, maintains, and supports complex UNIX (AIX) and Linux operating hardware/software systems in an enterprise environment.
- Provides technical leadership for primary products and subsystems.
- Collaborates with internal clients in support of technology requirements.
- Participates in 24x7 on-call rotation for research and resolution of production system problems.
- Participates in capacity planning.
- Participates in hardware/software budget planning.
- Evaluates new and existing software and hardware products.
- Assists other systems engineers to utilize technical software effectively.
- Participates in enterprise projects as subject matter expert.
- Drives and employs shop standards within the context of job responsibilities.
- Understands and applies change management procedures/principles.
- Produces documentation for technical portfolio.
Health and Safety Requirement:
Ensures compliance with the L.L.Bean comprehensive Health and Safety program by knowing and following all safety guidelines, policies, procedures and expectations. Takes immediate and appropriate action to rectify any unsafe conditions.
The successful candidate is an experienced distributed systems engineer who can demonstrate industry experience and success in the following competencies:
- Implementing and supporting hardware/software solutions in AIX and Red Hat Linux on multiple hardware platforms.
- Partnering with peers and with others to deliver business solutions.
- Strong problem determination skills for complex enterprise systems.
- Coaching, support, and training of others.
- Supporting 7x24 on-call requirements.
- Leading medium-sized technical projects.
- Planning long-range technology directions.
- Engineering servers for Oracle and DB2 database management systems.
- Systems scripting and automation in multiple languages, e.g. Perl, shell, etc.
- Writing clear and concise technical and business documents.
- General knowledge of SAN storage and back-up/recovery practices and procedures.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills required.
- Team Skills: negotiation, facilitation, and presentation.
- Computer Science or related degree or work experience.
- Strength and experience in Windows Server and VMware ESX system engineering preferred.
- Strength and experience in systems management, provisioning and patching solutions preferred.
- Experience within the retail industry is a plus.
Education: BA/BS or equivalent
Experience: 3 to 5 years
Much has changed since our start in 1912, but the important things remain the same. The values that the company's founder, L.L. Bean (Leon Leonwood Bean) was raised to believe in were simple and deeply ingrained. Nature is something to be revered. Family ties are a priority. Being neighborly is a matter of course. And "do unto others" is not just a saying but a way of life.
Over the past few years L.L.Bean has received numerous accolades including being named #1 in 2017 on Forbes Best Employers List for America’s Best Mid-Size Employers, thanks to the corporate culture and unique benefits we offer our employees:
- An excellent total compensation package
- Enhanced 401(k) retirement package
- Health care, including domestic partner and family coverage, across medical, dental, and vision
- Flexible spending accounts for health and dependent care
- Life insurance, including domestic partner and dependent coverage
- Outdoor experience days in addition to Paid Time Off (vacation, holiday and personal time)
- Discounts on L.L.Bean merchandise and Outdoor Discovery School adventures
- Employee Store
- Equipment loan program from the Employee Use Room
- Tuition reimbursement
- Access to L.L.Bean cabins and tent sites at Rangeley Lake for personal use