Bachelor's degree in a related specialized area or the equivalent experience is required plus a minimum of 8 years of relevant experience; or Master's degree plus a minimum of 6 years of relevant experience to meet managerial expectations.
Due to the nature of work performed at our facilities, US citizenship is required.
Responsibilities for this Position
General Dynamics Mission Systems has an immediate opening for a UNIX Compute Services Manager to manage our distributed UNIX team. This position provides an opportunity to further advance the cutting-edge technology that supports some of our nation's core defense/intelligence services and systems. General Dynamics Mission Systems employees work closely with esteemed customers to develop solutions that allow them to carry out high-stakes national security missions. The UNIX Compute Services Manager, along with managing the UNIX team, will work with collaborative teams to ensure GDMS and client technologies are functioning as efficiently as possible. In addition to receiving a competitive salary and generous health and personal benefits, the selected candidate will enhance their skill set by working among a talented and technically accomplished group of colleagues. The employee will also enjoy a flexible work environment where contributions are recognized and rewarded.
This individual will be critical in the success of the team to provide information system solutions and technical support to GDMS and our clients. Responsibilities include managing the UNIX team, working closely with the Compute Services leadership and Manager, contributing to the support of personal computer and client server support, systems administration of UNIX based physical or virtual servers, applications support, storage support and system security. In this capacity, additional responsibilities will include:
Knowledge Skill & Abilities:
• Excellent experience in planning and execution skills in support of projects or teams with limited oversight
• Proven familiarity with common software tools including MS Visio, Excel, PowerPoint and Project
• Proven track record of high level personal performance
• Solid understanding of solutions development methodologies (e.g. DevOps, Agile, Software Development Lifecycle, etc.)
• Industry certification in Six Sigma, Lean, PMI
• Demonstrates an advanced degree of skills and innovation in resolving business or project related issues
• Solid track record of being capable of working with significant uncertainty, resistance, barriers, issues and challenges; converting uncertainty into quantifiable impact, risk and mitigating actions
• A history that illustrates flexibility and adaptability to changing business needs and shows exposure to overcoming fundamental change obstacles
• Solid proficiency in use of influence skills to meet objective of team or project
• Ability to adjust individual and team activities to changing conditions
• Solid understanding of team roles and responsibilities
• Solid ability to develop and analyze schedule and critical path
• Solid understanding of business environment and how team or project support division/company goals
• Solid skills in budgeting, planning, problem solving and cost analysis
• Demonstrates a clear understanding of UNIX/Linux centric support and services
• Demonstrates a clear understanding of common UNIX/Linux OS & hardware platforms (Solaris, RedHat, SUN/Oracle HW, SPARC, X86,...)
• Demonstrates a clear understanding of information security practices and procedures particularly those common to working in the defense sector. Including Solaris & Linux security support, hardening and risk mitigation along with understanding other OS platforms.