Discover the Difference You Can Make at Gate Gourmet
Gate Gourmet, a gategroup company, is the world’s largest independent provider of catering and provisioning services for the airline industry. For the past 70 years, we have served over 250 carriers in more than 30 countries. Gate Gourmet combines culinary expertise with the highest standards of food safety and production to deliver delicious, healthy, and affordable meals to over 270 million travelers around the globe.
We are currently looking for a Unit Director of Human Resources to join our team based in San Francisco, CA (by the airport). The Unit Director acts as the top HR leader for one of our major operational business units, responsible for developing and implementing HR strategy for operations leadership, including assisting with workforce and labor planning. We are a 24/7 facility, union / non-union.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Operates as a strategic business partner with the General Manager and leadership team members to understand business objectives and identify human resource strategies to meet changing needs; develops and implements human resource strategies, tactics, programs, and processes to enhance operational performance and efficiencies.
- Partners with operations and recruiting functions to identify and understand workforce needs; actively participates in implementing and improving local recruiting strategy and processes.
- Develops standard operating procedures and processes to maintain a high level of measured HR delivery to policies, procedures and employee/labor relations efforts
- Partners with operations and other key functions to develop programs that support employee engagement and retention.
- Leads unit-wide human resource strategies, programs, and processes.
- Leads and manages all unit human resources personnel.
- Proactively plans and conducts all local labor relations matters including establishing and maintaining positive relationships with key stakeholders; negotiations of local addenda to the National Master Agreement (if applicable), including grievances and arbitrations as needed to comply with collective bargaining agreements.
- Supervises investigations and responses to employment-related claims from various government or public agencies (in coordination with HQ HR and Legal functions) and recommends settlement or defense based on actual of investigation facts.
- Coaches management team on employee relations, employee engagement and retention, and compliance and escalates issues to regional and corporate compliance as appropriate.
- Partners with operations and training functions to identify training and development needs and develops and implements programs; manages new employee orientation and onboarding.
- Manages the performance management process ensuring goal and objective setting is in line with unit goals and reviews are conducted on a bi-annual basis; supports related development planning.
- Manages the talent review process and ensures succession plans are in place for operational leadership and talent gaps are identified and addressed accordingly.
- Provides policy interpretation and ensures accurate and consistent application of all company policies and procedures, and related local, state and federal laws, and applicable collective bargaining agreement(s).
- Mediates and resolves employee relations disputes as necessary.
- Provides counseling/training for unit management in the areas of labor / employee relations, EEO, affirmative action, and discrimination.
- Audits units in areas of HR responsibility for compliance.
- Accomplishes human resources and organization mission by completing related activities as needed.
- Bachelordegree from four year college or university required; Masters in related field or MBA preferre
- Eight to Ten years’ experience in progressively responsible human resource roles, with at least 5 years’ experience in the area of Labor Relations/Union and Employee Relations; and at least 5 years in a supervisory role in California.
- Experience working in transportation, hospitality, manufacturing or food service environment highly desirable
Technical Skills: (Certification, Licenses and Registration)
- Multi-lingual skills highly desirable
- Demonstrated knowledge of state and federal employment law
- Position requiresexperienceand demonstrated competency in:
- Business acumen
- Labor relations
- Leadership and coaching
- Effective relationship building
- Business partnering
- Cross-functional collaboration
- Talent acquisition and management
- Establishing metrics for human resources performance
- Time management
- Prioritizing multiple projects/tasks and organization skills