ABOUT THE JOB (JOB BRIEF)Underwriting Team Lead is responsible for managing the efforts of 4-8 Underwriters to support Community Bank credit. This role is responsible for managing the underwriting workflow to ensure the appropriate resource allocation and prioritization is in place to meet client expectations. Underwriting Team Leads are responsible for the consistency and quality of the underwriting activities through the performance of quality reviews and coaching and development of the underwriting Associates and Analysts. Leads must ensure underwriters are executing against the defined credit process; ensuring consistency with Credit Policy and established underwriting guidelines while supporting a strong business development effort. Underwriting Team Leads are focused on building an efficient and effective partnership with Community Bank Relationship Managers. This position reports to a Sr. Underwriting Leader within the campus. Lines of business supported include Small Business Express, Business Banking, Private Banking and Middle Market.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Responsible for improving direct report’s job performance through coaching via the completion of quality reviews, review of performance to SLA’s, and adherence to Key values.
- Develop Underwriter credit acumen by coaching them to interpret financial statements and analyze all other relevant financial analysis as well as non-financial data to develop a concise focused analytical foundation for a credit decision.
- Work with direct manager to identify process objectives, designing process workflows to optimize performance to those objectives, including the development of flowcharts, workflow prioritization, and measurement of performance to client expectations.
- Assist in the design and facilitatation of the underwriting scorecards.
- Deliver indidivual development plans and career path assessments to direct reports.
- Participate in and facilitate information sharing with your manager, business partners, peers, and direct reports in a timely and efficient fashion to ensure widespread communication
- Utilize cash flow, balance sheet, income statements, and tax returns (both personal and business) to determine credit worthiness.
- Ensure accurate and timely risk rating of assigned portfolio.
- Make accurate recommendations in granting credit requests using understanding of credit and risk management concepts.
- Exercise loan authority on all extensions of credit (loans, lines, restructure, transaction services) within established limits. Loan authority will be based on experience level and size and/or type of credit treatment.
- Respond promptly to loan structuring request to determine feasibility and nature of analysis to be conducted. Identifies critical issues. Make Proceed/Stop decision within approval limits.
- Partner with bankers and credit partners on complex deals and/ or deals outside of his/her area of expertise.
- Provide direct feedback and guidance when edits are required to credit write ups.
- Communicate status of credit decisions to analyst and associate team members.
- Assist Relationship Manager with AQR process.
- Closely monitors all asset quality measures including performance against tolerances.
- Ensure the proper utilization of credit systems and technology.
- Ensure group measures are within tolerances or that appropriate plans are in place to achieve tolerances.
- Advocate risk culture with banking professionals.
- Promote a credit culture based on strong asset quality and a moderate risk appetite.
- Keep abreast of industry and market trends and communicates these trends to peers and business partners.
- Responsible for being both player and coach to analysts and associates on the team.
- Undergraduate degree in accounting, finance, economics or related field or equivalent work experience
- At least 5 years of experience within the financial lending/credit arena.
- Demonstrated high level of financial acumen and decision/solution effectiveness
- Commitment to core values; Teamwork, Respect, Accountability, Integrity, Leadership
- Proven ability to set and obtain goals
- Excellent interpersonal and motivation skills
- Superior verbal and written communications skills
- Strong time management and prioritization skills
- Displayed sense of ownership in relation to attitude and actions, assignments and event outcomes
- Line of business experience is desired
- Experience with multiple types of lending (e.g. middle market, private banking, specialty lending) and multiple economic cycles is preferred