Aviva Canada Inc. has an excellent opportunity in our Small Medium and Enterprise (SME) commercial insurance business unit. Our Commercial Insurance Branch located in Halifax / Dartmouth has an opportunity for an Underwriting Specialist (Property and Casualty).
Overall the accountability in this role is to drive profitable growth through quality underwriting with a middle market commercial focus, these are medium-sized accounts in select segments, which typically fall within the annual premium band of $25K-$250K.
As a Middle Market Underwriting Specialist, you are accountable to collaborate with internal partners to identify new business opportunities and to provide superior technical expertise to brokers and customers to price the risk appropriately. In addition, you provide mentorship and guidance to more junior underwriters, including Senior Middle Market Underwriters. We are interested in speaking with insightful business minded underwriters who are passionate about service and driving profitable growth.
This role will start off as work from home, as conditions change you will be required to work partially in the office located in Dartmouth Nova Scotia.
- Qualify and underwrite new and renewal Mid-Market Property & Casualty accounts through understanding the needs and risk characteristics of the customer while ensuring both top-line growth and bottom line profitability.
- Develop and maintain both internal and external relationships to deliver exceptional broker and customer service.
- Act as a point of escalation for more junior underwriters including Senior Middle Market Underwriters as a referral point for Middle Market risks, and authorize risks within own established authority level.
- Maintain the quality and profitability of the Middle Market portfolio, and refer all risks outside established authority level to the appropriate resource.
- Provide insight on market research and analysis; participate in developing business cases for pricing, coverage and/or product improvements.
- Contribute to the introduction and communication of pricing, coverage and/or product changes on time, including creating underwriter bulletins, contributing to the development of underwriting guidelines, procedures, and manuals.
- Help identify areas of concern regarding loss ratios, risk trends, or other discrepancies, applying remediation strategies as appropriate.
- Build knowledge of all Information Systems/Programs within Commercial Insurance.
- Participate in Quality Reviews and audits as required.
- Maintain knowledge of industry trends, developments, and regulatory changes. Contribute as subject matter expert for branch and/or Middle Market learning and development, including subject research, preparation of material and delivery of the training.
- Identify gaps in underwriting capabilities, and design and deliver solutions.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, AND SKILLS:
- 7 to 10 years’ experience in commercial Insurance underwriting
- Post-secondary education (Business or related discipline) or equivalent practical experience, CIP/FCIP preferred
- Expert knowledge of underwriting, pricing and product in key segments, i.e. Wholesaling, Manufacturing and/or Contractors
- Strong level of understanding of underwriting philosophy, policy contracts, rating programs, risk information sources, underwriting/technical manual information, statuary constraints, and computer workflow procedures.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, RTM, Commercial systems and other related systems.
- Ability to interact in a professional manner to develop long-term relationships with brokers, customers and internal partners.
- Ability to be self-motivated and proactively pursue potential business opportunities with brokers and customers.
- Ability to listen to broker and customer needs in order to effectively and efficiently meet them.
- Demonstrates strong presentation and facilitation skills, high degree of professionalism and a solutions and service orientation.