An exciting opportunity exists to join the ProAssurance family of companies!
We are a specialty writer of professional liability, products liability and workers' compensation insurance. With over 1,000 employees operating in 40 states, our company is well positioned to offer career opportunities to individuals interested in professional growth.
The primary responsibility of the Underwriter & Marketing Specialist is to execute the strategic initiatives and financial goals of the Underwriting and Marketing Departments in support of the Company's revenue and profitability objectives and overall business plan. This is accomplished through the sound decision-making process of performing new and renewal underwriting decisions and establishing effective relationships with agency partners. This position provides focused customer service and support for all commercial underwriting transactions within delegated authority, specifically focused on accounts within the Custom Business Unit book of business. Additional responsibilities include: coaching and training staff members formally and informally, agency management and relationship building activities, conducting training sessions; monitoring and analysis of results, identifying trends, developing and implementing any changes necessary to help the region reach its goals. This position operates autonomously, conducts individual and group training, acts as a mentor and helps to develop and assist with the implementation of operational and regional objectives.
- Within approved authority, analyze risks for new and renewal business in support of the company's Underwriting objectives; makes decisions in support of profitability about accepting, modifying or declining all new and renewal business within the timelines set by regulatory and Company guidelines. Independently underwrites retrospectively rated and large deductible products. Assume lead underwriting responsibilities for Inova® programs as assigned.
- Perform functions necessary for the accurate, timely issuance of quotations, policies, renewals, endorsements, cancellations, non-renewals, risk management surveys and required file documentation by working collaboratively with agency partners, Associate Underwriters and all internal colleagues.
- Actively participate in and lead team meetings to discuss large and/or adverse accounts. Develop and execute renewal and account management strategies including the dissemination of competitive information. Differentiate Eastern through organizing and leading Stewardship reviews and Point of Sale opportunities for large accounts in accordance with the Company's client service model.
- Cultivate and develop high quality agency working relationships through a high level of visibility advocating Eastern as a carrier of choice, promoting products and services and identifying new business opportunities including any new alternative insurance programs working closely with the Inova® team. Manage the assigned agency relationships and communications to facilitate collaboration and address concerns between the service team and others as necessary to foster business development. Maintains a thorough knowledge of the assigned territory and communicates key changes in: market conditions, competition, economic development and demographics.
- Work collaboratively with Regional Business Executive, Regional Marketing Executive, and Senior Management Team, to coordinate, develop, and execute annual business plans for assigned agency partners; monitor results monthly and take action as necessary to achieve the stated goals.
- Champions and promotes the company's products (ecovery®, ParallelPay®, eaport, N3L3, etc.). Regularly uses tools to effectively manage return to wellness initiatives by working collaboratively with agents, clients, claims, and risk management consultants to insure proper return to wellness guidelines and procedures are established, followed and achieved.
- Bachelor Degree in Business, Insurance or related field is required. Eight years of industry related experience plus a CPCU designation can replace the Bachelor's degree.
- A minimum of seven years insurance experience with a minimum of five of those years in underwriting. Prefer experience in workers' compensation plus successful completion of three industry related courses. Advanced certification preferred.
- Experience with independent pricing and management of loss sensitive plans.
- Ability to build and maintain productive agency and client relationships to meet the company's financial and operational goals.
- Ability to promote and sell the Company's products and service to the marketplace, represent the Company in a professional manner and make presentations to large groups of people.
- Agency marketing or similar work related experience is preferred.
- Ability to attend insurance and industry/business functions to promote and present a positive image of the Company.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office computer applications; ability to learn new computer software applications.
- Advanced analytical ability, in order to analyze and interpret information; and make profitable decisions about risks and agency partners.
- Attention to detail in processing policy information, establishing priorities, and meeting deadlines.
- Solid analytical and problem solving skills, including formulating logical and objective conclusions and the ability to think strategically.
- Ability to assess the urgency and importance of a situation and take appropriate action.
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally both verbally and in writing with various constituencies and at all levels; both in and outside of the organization including agency partners, outside customers and clients.
- Must possess a valid driver's license, ability to drive long distances to reach client/agency sites and an acceptable driving record.