Guild Mortgage Company, closing loans and opening doors since 1960. As a mortgage banking firm we are dedicated to serving the home owner/buyer. Our goal is to provide affordable home financing for our customers, utilizing the best terms available while providing a level of professionalism and service unsurpassed in the lending industry.
Responsible for managing underwriting and achieving metrics for production and quality in assigned region(s). Supervise Underwriters to ensure timely completion of loans. Ensure compliance with Company secondary market investor, and government agency standards. Support and manage credit escalations and interpretations. Work with Regional Manager, Operations Managers and Branch Managers to identify and refine best practices, ensure quality and efficiency and respond to questions. Manage, coach and retain employees.
- Monitor overall pipeline and ensure workloads are adjusted.
- Ensure loans are underwritten in accordance with underwriting standards, risk management factors, regulations and within expected timeframes.
- Coach team to achieve/exceed optimal performance against metrics; take action to optimize productivity, quality, efficiency and service-levels.
- Conduct monthly reviews of approved and declined loan applications to ensure compliance with underwriting standards and risk management factors, quality decision standards, and provide coaching and training to team to build capabilities.
- Review and respond promptly to address/clear outstanding finding in audit reports received from Post Closing,Quality Assurance, Secondary Investors; assist Corporate in clearing Shipping and Suspense deficiencies.
- Monitor various reports to identify possible training opportunities.
- Assist Operations Managers with training branch/region employees regarding disclosures, use of company software systems, and branch-specific procedures related to underwriting.
- Monitor changes in regulations and industry that affect underwriting compliance; recommend updates to policies as required.
- Manage automated underwriting tools to ensure optimal performance to underwriting standards, productivity objectives and risk management parameters.(managing underwriting systems would not apply unless it referred to training or communicating updates)
- Analyzes reports to assess quantitative risk measures of loans originated and future performance expectations; identify areas of risk and opportunity in originations activities.
- Conduct research using proprietary systems, subscriber databases and internet resources to resolve issues and verify compliance with regulations.
- Continuously monitor and assess underwriter staffing levels, recruitment, performance management, and retention in accordance with Company requirements, processes and policies.
- Oversee all training, underwriter development and career growth.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Finance/Accounting or related field or equivalent experience.
- 8 - 10 years total work experience in progressively responsible positions underwriting loans (Conventional, FHA, VA, USDA, new-construction documentation and condominium projects), 3 - 5 years of which include supervisory/management/region management position(s) with multiple direct reports.
- Expert level knowledge of overall mortgage lending process, underwriting loan requirements, federal, state, and regulatory requirements/guidelines related to consumer mortgage lending and internal processes, controls, and asset protection.
- Endorsements including FHA Direct Endorsement, VA, Auto and SAR endorsements; must have current certifications for any region with state-specific requirements to underwrite loans.
- Expert level knowledge of valid documentation related to the processing consumer mortgage applications (e.g., tax returns, financial statements and records, verification of income and deposits, etc.).
- Results and metric driven, ability to clearly communicate issues and expectations, and capable of motivating a team to reach goals and drive initiatives.
- Strong management and critical thinking skills, including the ability to evaluate facts and data to draw conclusions and determine the downstream impact of decisions and associated risks.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks for self and others in a deadline-driven environment; strong sense of urgency and responsiveness.
- Ability to be patient and train less experienced team members, respond to questions, build capability.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong detail orientation and highly organized.
- Prior experience using internal data entry systems, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
- Intermediate math skills.
- General supervision of work
- High level of independent judgment and discretion
- Provide guidance and has authority to resolve issues of high complexity
- Researches and makes policy and protocol recommendations with Company-wide impact
- Responsible for supervision and management of all team members and overall department performance
- Project work related to overall metrics and process improvement
- Travel: Less than 5%
- Physical: Work is primarily sedentary; occasionally walks and/or stands.
- Manual Dexterity: Frequent use of computer keyboard and mouse.
- Audio/Visual: Ability to accurately interpret sounds and associated meanings at a volume consistent with interpersonal conversation. Regularly required to accurately perceive, distinguish and interpret information received visually and through audio; e.g., words, numbers and other data broadcasted aloud/viewed on a screen, as well as print and other media.
- Environmental: Office environment – no substantial exposure to adverse environmental conditions.
Guild offers a pleasant work environment, competitive compensation and excellent benefits package; including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, AD&D, LTD and 401(k) with employer match.