Reporting to the Head of Small Digital Business, the Underwriting Lead will drive business results through strong underwriting analysis, very active sales and marketing efforts, long-term client relationship building, and collaborative engagement with internal business partners. This individual will actively participate in the development of new a Small Digital Business specialty portfolio along with strong commercial relationships pursuant to the underwriting policy and business plan. Individual should be recognized for their strength in new business development and client relations, technical analysis, integrity, and the highest level of work ethic. The Underwriting lead will manage a team of home office staff charged with building and maintaining the automated underwriting processes. It is expected that the Underwriting Lead will exercise sound judgment in the processing and management of Small Digital Business accounts and underwriting activities.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Underwrite and develop a profitable book of complex Small Digital Business risks employing the appropriate analytical diagnostics to assess acceptability in support of strategic business plans while retaining diversified mix of business in order to achieve overall growth and profit objectives.
- Negotiate terms and conditions in a highly complex and competitive environment
- Support changes to long-term and short-term business strategies with the ability to adjust quickly in order to effectively achieve profitability goals.
- Make recommendations to the Head of Small Digital Business regarding market strategy, product development and departmental efficiencies.
- Stay up-to-date on national, state, and regional issues/regulations, industry activity and trends.
- Mentor less experienced staff and assist in the development of ongoing underwriting training.
- Responsible for special underwriting projects and presentations as requested.
Required Education/Training & Experience:
- A Bachelor's degree is required. CPCU, ARM, and/or other relevant designations are a plus.
- A minimum of eight years relevant complex commercial underwriting experience. Experience in a small business is highly valued.
- Strong negotiation and business development abilities. Established wholesale broker relationships are highly desired.
- Advanced analytical and creative problem-solving skills, with the ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks.
- Advanced technical expertise, underwriting skills and a high level of knowledge of insurance and underwriting principles, practices and procedures.