Underwriting Director, Construction Property Specialist
15+ years experience • Accounting, Finance & Insurance
The Hartford’s Middle Market organization is enhancing its capabilities in the Construction sector. The Underwriting Director will serve as a construction property specialist, production underwriter and subject matter expert with responsibilities across a large territory. This individual should have expertise in commercial construction, civil/engineered risk, master builder’s risk and other property and inland marine exposures for IRMI top 100 and other large clients. As we look to deliver comprehensive client solutions to trading partners, the Underwriting Director will serve as an integral resource and member of the Construction & Marine team, working with leadership to further define capability and product needs, as well as recommend and implement marketing strategies that will enable The Hartford to successfully build our construction-related property book of business.
This position will be responsible for:
Sales and Marketing
- Establishes and maintains active pipeline of construction property opportunities. Utilizes existing client and agent/broker relationships to market The Hartford’s offerings.
- Fosters relationships with other divisions of The Hartford in order to collaborate and cross-sell to maximize advantage. Effectively cross-sells with and sources opportunities for other team members in order to deliver comprehensive client solutions, including cross-selling builder’s risk capabilities with the Construction Wrap Up team for large, complex projects.
- Differentiates The Hartford from the competition in all aspects of sales, and actively demonstrates The Hartford's value to agents and brokers.
- Consistently assesses market opportunity and generates specific and realistic ideas for The Hartford to execute on to drive new business.
- Is well versed about every aspect of The Hartford's value proposition to best position us for success. Is professionally demanding and holds internal and external customers accountable.
Underwriting / Product and Industry Expertise
- Collaborates with the Head of Construction Property and other leadership to develop and implement underwriting standards, strategies and product suites.
- Regularly underwrites complex construction property business, partnering internally with others as needed to design coverage solutions.
- Serves as an underwriting referral resource for marine field underwriters and directors within an assigned territory. Collaborates on new and renewal accounts, assessing potential of pipeline accounts and answering general underwriting questions.
- Handles referrals from field underwriters and provides direction to regional underwriting teams on complex exposures that exceed field authority or require consultative advice; reviews pricing models, proposed programs and risk evaluation documents to form underwriting position on specific accounts, and consults with underwriters and directors on a regular basis on questions related to coverage, rates, pricing and terms & conditions.
- Provides construction property subject matter expertise to business partners as needed, such as UW Practices, Product, Actuarial, Risk Engineering, Claims, etc.
- Expertly applies all applicable line of business underwriting guidelines when making recommendations and decisions.
- Effectively communicates knowledge to agents, brokers and colleagues.
- Has thorough knowledge of applicable laws, regulations and governance.
Distribution Management and Partnership
- Manages and develops producer and client relationships, focusing on national broker contacts.
- Responsible for consistently raising the bar in driving & executing critical initiatives with trading partners. Serves as a trusted advisor, managing and developing strategies to profitably grow the book of business.
- Maintains expert level knowledge of compensation plans for all distribution partners, and takes part in defining compensation that will drive success. Proactively partners with management to drive initiatives that support our compensation decisions.
- Consults with producers and clients to answer questions regarding coverage, explain processes and direct producers and clients to appropriate resources within The Hartford based on their unique needs.
- Has a thorough understanding of how service operates at The Hartford, and makes recommendations to improve the client experience.
- Serves as a respected, informal role model for other colleagues.
- Responsible for providing underwriting and sales coaching and feedback, mentorship and training to marine field underwriters in order to increase the team’s knowledge of construction property related risks.
- Provides training to staff on effective underwriting techniques and ensures adequate quality practices.
- Provides guidance and expert advice on underwriting, builder’s risk strategy and distribution.
- Pipelines new external and internal industry talent and participates in interviews for critical roles.
- Minimum of 15 years industry experience, with 10-15 years P&C underwriting experience preferred
- Expertise marketing for and evaluating complex construction property and inland marine risks, with emphasis on builder’s risk
- Strong technical underwriting and coverage form background, with demonstrated ability to underwrite a variety of complex property risks and design customized coverage solutions
- Able to effectively and independently navigate complex territories, geographies and relationships with agents, brokers and trading partners
- Strong technical underwriting acumen and analytical skills
- Strong presentation and marketing skills; excellent interpersonal and relationship management skills with an emphasis on customer focus, collaboration and partnering with others to obtain results
- Thorough attention to detail, and track record of maintaining consistently strong underwriting documentation and underwriting quality results
- Ability to accommodate 25-30% travel schedule as needed
- BA/BS or advanced degree required.