Be Here. Be Great. Working for a leader in the insurance industry means opportunity for you. Great American Insurance Group, a member of American Financial Group, is a Fortune 500 company consistently recognized as a top place to work.
We combine a "small company" culture where your ideas will be heard with "big company" expertise to help you succeed. With over 30 specialty property and casualty operations and a variety of financial services, there are always opportunities here to learn and grow.
The XP Engineer role is for those looking for a collaborative environment building distributed systems that enable enterprises to focus on their business. You will rotate pairs every day and, less frequently, to entirely new projects.
Furthering your education has always been a goal of yours. Learning new programming languages and getting to work with cloud native frameworks peaks your interest.
As cliché as it may sound, every day is completely different from the next. We have a general framework for what our day looks like and the majority of it will be spent with your pair. We take ample breaks throughout the day, including ping-pong, and have access to snacks and beverages. Sustainable pace is held in high regard, we know there is a life outside of work, and we want you to be able to spend time with family and friends.
We know from experience that not ticking every box on the skills sections stops many from applying. You should apply regardless of your self-assessment because we want to hear from you.
- Ability to dive into a large polyglot codebase and contribute as you learn
- Being okay with the uncomfortable feeling that comes from learning new things
- Interest in exploring new programming paradigms, languages, and patterns
- Demonstrable ability to research problems and break them into discrete parts
- Have empathy with your pair and freely exchange feedback on a continual basis
Nice to Haves
- BA/BS in Computer Science or related field
- Worked with large Java codebases
- Used Test Driven Development (TDD) extensively
- Worked in a pair programming environment
- Contributed to an open source project
- Experience with log analysis, streaming data, streaming metrics
- Experience with metric analysis and visualization
- On-callexperience with production grade systems
- Has mentored others in a professional setting