Lake Mary, FL
Industry: Accounting, Finance & Insurance•
8 - 10 years
Posted 64 days ago
The Underwriting Consultant is an individual contributor supporting Small Business Program underwriting in a fast flow environment. This individual is responsible for the overall management, business development, analysis and monitoring of Program books of Business. Recognized as a technical expert in the small business segment. Under general management direction, works within broad limits of authority on assignments requiring a high degree of technical complexity and coordination. May have regional, industry segment or company-wide scope.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
1. Works on highly complex underwriting risks and/or programs employing diagnostic and systematic analysis to assess acceptability. Develop, review and research specialized endorsement language and coverages for Program opportunities and existing books of business..
2. Reviews and recommends appropriate pricing for assigned books of business based on financial and competitive analysis in line with compliance requirements and with little oversight needed from superiors.
3. Makes recommendations on underwriting policy and pricing strategy.
4. Analyzes quality and profitability of program books; prepares and presents reports to management.
5. Markets products and services through agencies or through the brokerage community and makes field visits.
6. Develops and maintains agency and/or broker relationships with large producers within the assigned territory to reach positive and profitable outcomes on Program business.
7. Keeps current on state/territory issues and regulations, industry activity and trends. May participate in industry trade groups.
8. Mentors and guides less experienced underwriters and assists in the development of underwriting training.
9. Utilizes advanced functionality in relevant CNA systems to perform day-to-day activities.
10. Responsible for special underwriting projects and presentations.
11. Individual will handle a smaller than typical underwriting specialist book of business, and act as back up for other underwriting specialists on the team as needed.
May perform additional duties as assigned.
Manager or above
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
1. Advanced technical expertise, underwriting skill and high level of knowledge of insurance and underwriting principles, practices and procedures.
2. Strong communication, negotiation and presentation skills. Ability to effectively interact with all levels of CNA's internal and external business partners.
3. Advanced analytical and problem solving skills, with the ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects.
4. Ability to deal with ambiguous situations and issues.
5. Creativity in resolving unique and challenging business problems.
6. Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and other business-related software.
7. Demonstrated leadership skills.
Education & Experience
1. Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience. Professional designations preferred.
2. Typically a minimum eight years underwritingexperience with an insurance carrier required.
3. Experience in small commercial insurance preferred.