The primary responsibility of the Underwriter I is to execute the strategic initiatives and financial goals of the Underwriting Department in support of the Company's revenue and profitability objectives and overall business plan while engaging in training and professional development activities to build underwriting knowledge and skills.. This is accomplished through the sound decision-making process of performing new and renewal underwriting decisions and establishing effective relationships with agency partners. This position provides focused customer service and support for all commercial underwriting transactions within delegated authority, specifically focused on accounts within the Custom Business Unit book of business in support of the Company's revenue and profitability objectives and overall business plan.
- 35% Within approved authority, analyze and document risks for new and renewal business in support of the company's Underwriting objectives; makes decisions in support of profitability about accepting, modifying or declining all new and renewal business within the timelines set by regulatory and Company guidelines.
- 20% Perform functions necessary for the accurate, timely issuance of quotations, policies, renewals, endorsements, cancellations, non-renewals, risk management survey requests and required file documentation by working collaboratively with agency partners, Associate Underwriters and all internal colleagues.
- 15% Cultivate and develop high quality company-agency and company-client working relationships by visiting and communicating with agents on a regular and timely basis as necessitated by business needs and company guidelines.
- 10% Manage ecovery initiatives by working collaboratively with agents, clients, claims representatives and risk management consultants to insure proper return to work guidelines and procedures are established, followed and acceptable results are achieved.
- 5% Prepare for and attend bi-monthly team meetings to discuss adverse accounts, offer solutions for managing these accounts, and other relevant topics, including the dissemination of competitive information. Actively participate in weekly Roundtable meetings.
- 5% Manage book of business and agency related results and concerns by monitoring reports and communications and facilitate collaboration between Underwriters, Claims, Risk Management and others as outlined in the Interdepartmental Communication Requirements document.
- 5% Review monthly reports, individual results and goals and implement necessary changes to ensure strategic initiatives and operational objective are being met.
- 5% Continue professional growth and development through assisting with company projects, participating in company events, insurance industry functions and through self-study. Offer mentoring and guidance for assigned Associate Underwriter.
- Bachelor Degree in Business, Insurance, or related field is required. Eight years of industry related experience plus a CPCU or CIC designation can replace the Bachelor's degree.
- A minimum of one year of insurance underwriting experience is required. Prefer workers' compensation and advanced certification or training.
- Ability to attend insurance and industry/business functions to promote and present a positive image of the Company.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office computer applications; ability to learn new computer software applications.
- Advanced analytical ability in order to research, analyze and interpret information; and make profitable decisions about risks.
- Attention to detail in processing policy information, establishing priorities, and meeting deadlines.
- Solid analytical and problem solving skills, including formulating logical and objective conclusions.
- Ability to assess the urgency and importance of a situation and take appropriate action.
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally both verbally and in writing with various constituencies and at all levels; both in and outside of the organization including agency partners, outside customers and clients.