- Ensure that drawings are in accordance with applicable standards, codes, and policies.
- May prepare or approve of project schedules, bids or proposals.
- Provide leadership in the development and delivery of design services.
- Develop expectations for content and quality of design at various stages of project.
- Ensure timely completion of design project.
- Incorporate customer needs with effective design techniques, problem solving, and creativity to ensure satisfactory outcome.
- Participate in project decisions regarding technical approaches, cost, scheduling, and performance.
- Identify cost and schedule variances, and develop and implement corrective actions for negative variances.
- Update procedures to incorporate best design management techniques.
- Communicate job expectations to associates.
- Monitor, appraise, and review job contributions of direct reports.
- Enforce policies and procedures.
- Accomplish human resource objectives by training, coaching, counseling, and disciplining associates. Oversees support personnel.
- Approves payroll, designer commissions, customer credits, ICRON, expenses, and general operational costs for design related expenses.
- Establish the bidding and engineering schedules.
- Keep all prices current in the system for bids and costs.
- Review and coordinate incoming orders. Monitor open order file to maintain accurate and current information.
- Maintain computers and keep system up-to-date with current software packages and hardware.
- Maintain file system to ensure timely access and adequate backup for customer service and company needs.
- Demonstrate a commitment to the quality improvement process and the philosophy of continuous improvement; identify and respond actively and with sensitivity to the needs of all customers; participate as a team player in all phases of the organization; and is open and responsive to change.
- Personally provide customers with knowledgeable, courteous, and prompt service at all times.
- Comply with all Company policies and procedures.
- Adhere to the Company’s safety standards and enforce safety regulations.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field preferred.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financialreports, and legal documents.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
- Ability to effectively present information to top management, fellowassociates, and customers.
- Ability to write reports, memos, and correspondence.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume.
- Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Other Skills and Abilities
- Advanced computer skills and mathematics normally needed. Working knowledge of CAD programs.
Minimum experience required
- At least 5 years of experience managing a team of Truss and EWP Designers; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of industry, local building codes, and management experience.
“Customer and People First. Always. Non negotiable. It's the BMC DNA.”
Mike Farmer, Senior Vice President / HR