Under limited direction of managing attorney, performs duties of legal counsel in the defense and representation of the Company in a variety of courts of law, and other related appearances.
The essential functions of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Handles complex cases under the state administrative process (trial level), as well as state courts.
- Defends workers' compensation cases.
- Takes depositions, analyzes testimony, prepares and files related reports.
- Represents the Company in appearances at hearings and conferences; prepares and files related reports.
- Researches and prepares complex pleadings for cases under the state administrative process (trial level).
- Provides advice, training, and recommendations on case handling strategies and tactics to representatives of the Claims department.
- Performs legal research at all levels, from advising clients through the appellate procedures.
- May assist in training Trial Attorney I.
- Apply principles of logical thinking to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
- Responds positively to direction and feedback on performance.
- Work productively and harmoniously with others on a consistent basis.
- Consistently maintain professional and appropriate demeanor.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education, Skills and Experience Requirements
- Law school graduate and member in good standing of the State Bar.
- (4) years experience as a Trial Attorney for legal defense of workers' compensationclaimsrequired.
- Ability to communicate both orally and in writing, in an articulate, persuasive, precise and professional manner.
- Ability to lift legal files, including documents and exhibits, up to a weight of 30 pounds.
- Must be willing and able to travel extensively using all means of public transportation, as well as capable of prolonged automobile driving, in excess of three hours a day, to widely dispersed venues.
- Valid Driver License in good standing.
Doctorate or better.
4 years:Experience as a Trial Attorney for legal defense of workers' compensationclaims.