Represent clients who are customers of Allstate Insurance Company, Encompass, and Esurance (“the Company”) in the defense of bodily injury liability and property damage liability lawsuits. Represent the Company in the defense of certain uninsured/underinsured motorist claims. The Trial Attorney will conduct examinations under oath of claimants asserting claims against the Company under their insurance policies and, acquire broad knowledge of the Company, your business area’s processes and procedures as well as best practices. The Trial Attorney will be primarily responsible for managing your assigned cases by acquiring, compiling and integrating case-related information and legal research, developing and implementing litigation strategies in cooperation with your clients and claims personnel, developing and implementing litigation tactics to obtain prompt resolution of claims, and achieving team objectives.
• Effectively negotiate settlements including all aspects of liability and damages
• Attend hearings and conduct trials
• Argue motions; take effective depositions of lay and expert witnesses
• Consult with clients, opposing counsel and the judiciary
• Coordinate the case handling with claims personnel
• Complete necessary system documentation
• Assist other attorneys in resolving calendar conflicts
• Juris Doctorate degree and member in good standing of New York State Bar
• Up to five years Insurance Defense, Subrogation and/or Personal Injury litigation experience
• Trial and/or Arbitration experience is preferred, with flexibility to work across several disciplines that may include SIU, PIP, UM and Subrogation.
• No Fault and/or SIU experience is a plus.
• Computer skills required; experience with Microsoft Office, Lexis, and the internet
• Ability to work well with others on a team of attorneys, paralegals, administrative assistants, supervised by an attorney Lead Counsel
• Must be able to handle a large caseload
• Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills are key to working with a variety of internal and external contacts as well as for preparing reports, pleadings, and correspondence, collaborating with others, etc. Will work independently as well as part of a cohesive team.
• Ability to travel
• Periodically lifting in excess of 20 pounds throughout the day, depending on court matters being handled. Attorneys are required to cover court matters for each other; attorneys have laptops.
• Bending to pick up the computer bag which sometimes is more than 20 pounds, entering and exiting a vehicle, maneuvering files and computer at security checkpoints
• Turning and twisting at work
Job Qualifications (Cont’d)
• Driving at least 40-50 miles daily depending on the activities being covered, court, doctors’ depositions, discovery depositions, and case evaluations, etc.
• Sitting for pro-longed periods of time en route to court, in court or at court proceedings, depositions, etc.
• Walking and rolling brief case with files from vehicle to the legal proceeding and/or deposition and facilitations, etc.
• Trial preparation could require lifting in excess 20 lbs. because of exhibits, materials, records from plaintiff, etc. These materials are printed for some proceedings.
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.