A construction superintendent is a person who plans and ensures the coordination of construction jobs and has the responsibility of supervising the construction project. The Superintendent ensures that the quality of work and materials is upheld and that the budget is followed as planned. Responsibilities are all encompassing of the total supervision of all the operations on the site to ensure that the workers are implementing what is on the design plan, the progress of the construction site, sees to it that the project is completed on time, and that standards are met. Superintendent solves disputes in the field in a courteous and professional manner utilizing the specifications and drawings along with schedules to resolve fairly and in the best interest of the project.
- Ensuring that both the health and safety project plans are implemented
- Being on site to oversee all the construction process
- Ensuring that the budget is followed in terms of purchases and wages
- Organizing the workers and ensuring that they are performing as required
- Recording the total costs for materials bought and payments for work done
- General inspection of the workers and their performance and safety
- Ensuring that the stipulated safety rules and regulations are met
- Liaises with government inspectors on the standard requirements of the site in terms of licenses and safety
- Follows the project construction process to ensure that it is completed in time
- Supervises the subcontractors and ensures that they are punctual and that they deliver
- Ensure that quality is preserved in the construction process and that the budget is maintained
- Writing project progress records in liaison with the foreman
- Push our contractors to educate themselves regarding our safety policies. Enforce these policies at all times.
- Ensure that field supervision is result oriented and promote the Company’s culture in particular, regarding safety, quality, and customer service.
- Continuously monitor productivity and percentage complete, identifying problems and potential delays, and provide solutions to overcome.
- Ensure work schedules are maintained and the project records are completed properly and submitted in a timely manner.
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES/BEHAVIORS:
- Plans for and uses resources efficiently, always looks for ways to reduce costs, creates accurate and realistic budgets, tracks and adjusts budgets, contributes to budget planning.
- Works through the problem with the Subcontractor being cost and time effective
- Is attentive to detail and accuracy, is committed to excellence, looks for improvements continuously, monitors quality levels, finds root cause of quality problems, owns/acts on quality problems.
- Communicates expectations and importance of safety. Follows up and insures safety audits are completed accurately and timely. Identifies critical issues and assists in the development of improvement procedures.
- Inspects work for compliance with company standards. Requires poor work to be corrected immediately to minimize quality issues being placed on the punch list.
- Has good listening skills, builds strong relationships, is flexible/open-minded, negotiates effectively, solicits performance feedback and handles constructive criticism.
- A Bachelor's Degree in Construction Engineering, Construction Management, related degree, or equivalent in experience.
- 5 or more years experience in commercial/industrialconstruction management, on projects of 30+ million, ideally with design/build experience.
- Previous experience as a Superintendent is a must.
- Ability to effectively supervise construction employees and to accomplish work within budget and schedule.
- Able to maintain positive working relationships with all construction groups - management, owners, trades and subcontractors.
- Able to balance and prioritize multiple deadlines.
- Excellent communication skills.
- A solid understanding of the company's Safety First philosophy and practice.
- An above-average working knowledge of technology and related resources.
- Very strong work ethic with the willingness to travel and/or relocate.
- Must be able to lift large objects that weigh at least 60 lbs.
- Ability to walk unlevel terrain and job sites several times a day, scale scaffolding and temporary stairs measuring many stories in height.
- Motivated, hardworking, team player.