VHB is GROWING! Our Springfield, MA office is looking for an enthusiastic, highly organized, Transportation Project Manager to join our experienced team of planners, engineers, and scientists. As a key member of VHB’s transportation planning and engineering team in Massachusetts, this person will be responsible for pursuing and managing a broad range of transportation planning, traffic engineering, and roadway design projects. The ideal candidate should possess a “can-do” attitude, excellent verbal and written communication skills, manage projects and mentor staff, and have experience with business development, client management, and financial accountability.
VHB’s passionate professionals include engineers, scientists, planners, and designers who partner with public and private clients in the transportation, real estate, institutional, and energy industries, as well as federal, state, and local governments.
Together, we work to improve mobility, enhance communities and economic vitality, and balance development and infrastructure needs with environmental stewardship.
- Serve as the project manager or task leader on planning and design of transportation projects, conducting alternatives analyses, scoping studies, traffic impact studies, multimodal planning and engineering, and transportation/traffic design projects as well as stakeholder engagement and public participation
- Maintain and grow relationships with municipalities in the Berkshire, Pioneer Valley, and Franklin Counties, as well as MassDOT Districts 1 and 2
- Manage multiple, simultaneous projects with various topics and complexity levels
- Develop, maintain and update project budgets and schedules
- Lead development of project deliverables and provide quality management
- Work directly with clients and deliver superior service
- Manage project finances and contract requirements
- Conduct technical analysis and prepare project reports
- Take an active role in business development, including outreach and coordination with existing and potential clients, identifying project pursuits, and client outreach and developing technical and fee proposals
- Prepare and deliver technical presentations
- Represent VHB at conferences, seminars, and industry organizations and events
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to manage complex projects of multidisciplinary nature
- Strong client relationship management expertise
- Excellent communication (written and oral) and interpersonal skills
- Active in industry organizations
- Public outreach and community presentation experience
- Motivated to lead and mentor others
- Ability to think critically and strategically
- BS in Civil Engineering or related field
- 10+ years of relevant professional experience in transportation engineering with at least 5 years as a project manager or task leader
- Synchro/ SimTraffic experiencerequired
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of the Highway Capacity Manual, the AASHTO Green Book, the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices, and MassDOT Design Guidebook
- Experience with AutoCADCivil 3D is desirable
- Massachusetts Professional Engineer license, or ability to obtain Massachusetts P.E. license within six months.