Our Distribution & Logistics team at WellPet is made up of professionals who understand the difference our products make in the lives of pets. We are currently seeking a Transportation Manager to join our team. This position is based in our Tewksbury, MA office.
Reporting to the Distribution & Logistics Network Manager, the Transportation Manager will drive value for the Company by controlling costs and delivering service excellence for our customers.
This includes managing and building strong relationships with carriers and our logistics staff and managing our 3rd party transportation providers. The ideal candidate will have served in corporate transportation roles with budgetary responsibilities, has Transportation Management System (TMS) experience and import/export experience.
Position Description (Responsibilities):
- Manage and plan all transportation activities for domestic and international freight
- Develop, review and communicate procedures for transportation to ensure WellPet’s continued compliance, reduce lead times, maximize customer satisfaction
- Analyze & develop a logistics strategy based on changing business needs to optimize WellPet’s supply chain activities (e.g. cost reduction, service enhancements, strategic partnerships and customer collaborations, continuous improvement opportunities)
- Negotiate and build strong partnerships with providers leveraging our spend to drive cost efficiencies and high service levels
- Work collaboratively and foster strong work relationships within the organization including Sales, Customer Experience, Warehousing & Inventory, Sourcing and Planning. Assist other departments with coordination of shipments
- Develop and review performance through the use of key performance indicators including customer specific score cards.
- Keep current with the latest transportation industry trends, technology and systems
- Negotiate and build strong partnerships with our carriers
- Directly manage the logistics staff. Planning, assigning and directing work. Coach, train, mentor and supervise in all areas relating to transportation operations while appraising performance. Addressing and resolving problems as they arise.
- Live the WellPet values and culture and doing whatever it takes for the pets who depend on us
This position is suited to a high-energy operations professional with approximately 5-7 years transportation and/or logistics management experience, ideally in the food or fast moving consumer goods industry with a specific proven track record of managing and forecasting inbound and outbound freight. Other requirements include:
- BS degreerequired in Logistics, Operations, Business or related discipline
- Proven track record managing transportation and freight costs to plan/budget while ensuring customer on-time performance is met
- Working knowledge of ERP/MRP/TMS systems. TMS implementation experience a plus
- Highly proficient in all Microsoft Office applications, particularly Excel and PowerPoint
- Exemplary planning skills
- Exceptional communication skills
- Skilled negotiator
- Committed to high levels of customer service, especially to timely follow ups and issue resolutions
- Attention to detail
- Creative thinker who can bring new ideas and approaches to solving problems and seizing opportunities
- Able to travel quarterly as necessary
- Independent and self-driven
- Collaborative, team player with a “can do” attitude
- Demonstrates positive attitude and takes a proactive approach