Michael Baker International’s Construction Services staff supports clients by acting as their trusted on-site agent through all phases of construction, from pre-design to close-out, by providing qualified construction managers, inspectors, constructability reviewers, schedulers, estimators and safety experts. As new technologies evolve throughout the construction industry, innovative ideas are required to maintain and deliver successful construction projects.
Under the direction of the Project Manager and PennDOT Inspector-in-Charge/Assistant Construction Engineer, the Transportation Construction Manager will monitor and document as-builts for roadway and bridge projects, in accordance with plans and specifications.
- Inspect various facets of work on the construction site
- Take field measurements and perform calculations
- Prepare relevant inspection reports
- Liaise with owner-in-charge representatives and contractors
- Oversee inspection staff as directed by owner
- Verify that appropriate materials and construction processes are being used
- Ensure that construction practices conform with project plans, specifications and special provisions
- Perform other duties as assigned
- High School Diploma (or equivalent)
- 10+ years of experience working in a construction related field
- Must possess a valid driver’s license
- Previous experience working on PennDOT or Pennsylvania Turnpike highway and/or bridge projects is preferred
- Certifications in accordance with PennDOT TCM qualifications
- Proficient in the use of PennDOT’s ECMS and other systems
- Must be a strong leader with the ability to manage and mentor subordinate staff
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel. Ability to navigate through company internet and intranet based systems.
- English language skills, written and verbal, are required in this role
- Possess basic math skills necessary to perform computations for length, area and volume
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to read and interpret plans, specifications, and procedures
- Availability to work various shifts, including night shifts. Overtime is often required.
- Position may require overnight travel and is subject to seasonal layoff.
- Ability to perform work in adverse weather conditions. Must be physically able to perform moderately strenuous tasks which includes walking along rough terrain, climbing ladders and lifting up to 50 pounds.