Sargent & Lundy has provided comprehensive consulting, engineering, design, and analysis for electric power generation and power delivery projects worldwide. With a highly experienced staff solely dedicated to the energy business, we have the ability and know-how to take on the smallest tasks as well as the largest projects.
Our Core Values
We are a company of principled professionals guided by core values that have fundamentally shaped our business practices and culture. They provide us with guidance in the day-to-day performance of our work, and adherence to these values is our compass in all business conduct:
- Exercise uncompromising integrity and ethics in the conduct of all business
- Focus on client satisfaction in all activities
- Maintain a highly competent and satisfied staff
- Communicate openly and honestly
- Improve continuously
This position will offer you the ability to apply and expand your knowledge of transmission line engineering including, conductors, hardware, insulation, structures, foundations and electrical principles to:
- Design transmission lines in the 69kV to 500kV range.
- Responsibility for cost analyses, development of design criteria, routing and siting of transmission lines.
- Responsibility for conductor selection studies, shielding, grounding and induction studies.
- Work with vendors and clients to specify transmission line components.
- Direct a small project team.
The position will also offer you the opportunity to:
- Work with experienced engineers and mentor less experienced staff
- Work with a diverse client base and interact with the client and other project teams
- Occasional travel for site visits and client meetings
- Develop proposals and cost estimates for new work
Dependent upon your location, this opportunity offers a generous relocation package.
Essential Skills and experience:
- This position requires a BSCE or BSEE from an ABET-accredited engineering program
- Proficiency with PLS-CADD software to able to review transmission line models
- 7 or more years of experience as a member of a project team in observing project schedules and budget constraints on diverse transmission assignments that have included the following: transmission line design incorporating code requirements, cost estimate development, schedule creation and coordination, the preparation of specifications for procurement of transmission line materials and construction, and liaising with construction and installation
- Knowledge to verify/review right of way requirements, conductor sags/tensions, transmission line plan and profile drawings and construction documents
- Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in the production of technical plans, drawings, and models
- Experience in writing and providing support documentation for engineering calculations
- Familiarity with design codes and standards such as NESC, IEC, CSA, IEEE, ANSI, IBC, ASCE 7, AISC, and ACI 318
- Proficiency with MS Office applications
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Attention to detail
Valued but not required skills and experience:
- Have a current PE license or the ability to acquire one within one year
- Experience in developing engineering proposals and cost estimates
- Experience with scheduling
- Proficiency with any of the following programs: PLS-TOWER, SAG10, LPILE, MFAD, ArcGIS, CDEGS, AutoCAD, MicroStation.