Primary Job Functions:
We’re changing the world. Let us start with yours.
First Solar’s Energy Services unit seeks candidates who believe in our mission of providing cost-advantaged solar services through innovation, customer engagement, industry leadership and operational excellence. Members of the Energy Services team have a direct hand in offsetting carbon emissions from traditional energy sources by ensuring that our customers’ power plants are available and performing at optimal levels. Every year, power plants managed by First Solar produced over 11 terawatt hours of clean, renewable energy. This is equivalent to powering 1.2 million homes and removing 1.7 million cars from the road.
The Energy Services team looks for individuals who enjoy contributing to an innovative, forward-thinking team, are effective problem solvers, data and results driven and continuously look for ways to improve processes to help us lead the world’s sustainable energy future.
The Transaction Execution Manager is a senior individual contributor that supports First Solar’s Energy Services (“FSES”) Business Development team by negotiating and executing customer-facing sales contracts that support FSES objectives for bookings and profitability while balancing, commercial, legal and execution risk. The Transaction Execution Lead works closely with the origination team to structure final proposals and is the principal customer interface responsible for negotiating contracts that align with First Solar’s commercial objectives, execution capabilities, and that achieve consistency with commercial and risk management guidelines.
The Transaction Execution Manager interacts extensively with the FSES Leadership, the legal team and all relevant subject matter experts and is responsible for obtaining cross-functional buy-in on the compromises necessary to secure the business and for ensuring that the execution teams are aware of the commercial obligations in the contracts.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in commercial contracting in the energy industry
- Experience and detailed commercial and legal knowledge of the principal customer-facing agreements or related experience
- Proven success in commercial deal structuring, pricing strategy, and contract development and negotiation
- Strong leadership, vision, business acumen and exemplary work ethic
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Juris Doctor or equivalent career experience, preferred
- Master’s degree in Business Administration, preferred
- Strong cross-functional leadership skills
- Exemplary customer service skills, interfacing directly with company heads, vice presidents, and legal counsel on “the other side of the table”
- Strong legal acumen, negotiation and problem solving skills
- Strong ability to identify, evaluate, and allocate risks.
- Exceptional attention to detail with the ability to discern subtle requirements, nuances and differences within complex commercial and legal documents
- Solid technical acumen and/or in-depth knowledge of solar power plant technology, construction, operation, maintenance and performance
- Commitment to Scope of Authority and Business Code of Conduct; act and guide others with integrity
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Highly effective time management skills, with the ability to execute on multiple negotiations and business objectives simultaneously
- Contract drafting capability preferred
- Lead negotiation of principal customer facing contracts.
- Develop and maintain relationships with customers’ commercial counterparts.
- Work with team members to ensure the contracting nuances of risk management, warranties, deliverables, tax, accounting, revenue recognition, permitting, bonuses, damages, costs, and schedule are understood and are consistent with SoA policies and procedures
- Represent transactions Deal Review Committee process
- Interface closely with Executive Leadership Team, legal, finance, accounting, tax, risk management, internal audit, and other critical functions essential to deal negotiations and approvals
- Develop and maintain a streamlined negotiation process to minimize risk and reduce legal costs, while ensuring strict adherence to First Solar’s Scope of Authority (SoA) policies and procedures
- Follow procedures that ensure a timely and complete handover of executed commercial agreements to the execution teams responsible for delivering on contractual obligations.
- Responsible for the timely preparation of draft agreements; ensuring that the legal, commercial, and operational obligations meet performance and profitability targets
- Coordinate reviews of customer draft agreements and seek replacement with First Solar forms if possible; if not possible, understand and document deviations from First Solar’s standard agreements and obtain SoA approvals as required
- Ensure timely preparation and review of requests for proposals, term sheets, exhibits and other agreement documents to meet deal closing deadlines and customer schedules
- Travel to customer locations as necessary for negotiations and relationship development; domestic and international travel required.
- Other duties as assigned