FMC Corporation is a leading specialty company focused on agricultural and lithium technologies. We are proud that our products help grow the world's food, improve health and contribute to a more sustainable energy supply.
FMC is a globally diverse organization that offers its employees exciting opportunities to work on challenging projects that are important to the achievement of our strategic objectives. Your education and professional experience are valued and put to use from day one. Your success at completing key initiatives can result in a varied, progressive and fulfilling career with FMC.
With a corporate culture of innovation, integrity, responsibility and customer intimacy, we foster “The Right Chemistry” in everything we do. We are looking for people to join us in creating, developing, and improving our products, our processes, and our markets. If you are ready to make a difference every day, FMC is ready to talk to you.
The Law Department is seeking a driven, team player to support the attorneys in the acquisition, maintenance, defense and enforcement of FMC’s Intellectual Property rights. Responsibilities broadly relate to FMC’s Intellectual Property, and include but will not be limited to (i) working with FMC attorneys and external counsel developing and maintaining FMC’s worldwide trademark portfolio, (ii) submitting documents to the USPTO and WIPO, and (iii) working with the team maintaining FMC’s Intellectual Property databases. This person will also be required to assist in other projects as needed. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Legal Operations Manager.
The ideal candidate should:
- Marshal resources in an environment with changing priorities
- Exercise a high-level of multitasking to accomplish goals
- Be interested in continuous learning and training specifically, in gaining knowledge of the businesses and technology of FMC
- Efficiently work to provide review and comment on proper trademark usage
- Be able to form a law and fact based recommendation on international trademark issues
- Apply a working understanding of substantive areas of law relating to US and international Intellectual Property and contract law as it applies to Intellectual Property
- Have experience preparing and filing documents in the USPTO and with WIPO
- Have experience with Intellectual Property transfers
- Have strong written and verbal communication skills.
Provide broad-based support to FMC attorneys and external counsel in the development, maintenance, enforcement and defense of FMC’s global trademark portfolio. This may include but is not limited to conducting preliminary trademark searches, reviewing comprehensive international trademark searches to draft advice for attorney review, obtaining trademark and business information for global external counsel, instructing external counsel worldwide, and reviewing third party watch notices to draft advice for attorney review.
- Maintain FMC’s internal trademark SharePoint site and promote its international use within FMC.
- Serve as a back up to review advertising, marketing, sales, and other promotional materials for proper trademark use, as needed.
- Prepare and file documents with the USPTO and WIPO.
- Manage and implement FMC’s trademark maintenance and renewal process.
- Assist development and management of trademark budgets.
- Support Intellectual Property transfers worldwide. This includes but is not limited to due diligence of FMC or third party Intellectual Property, as well as effectuating the recordation of Intellectual Property transfers worldwide.
- Work with a team that executes patent and trademark filings and maintains FMC’s intellectual property databases.
- Assist developing and/or maintaining trademark proficiency of other IP paralegals.
- Undertake advanced legal work when gathering factual information and researching statutes, regulations, and court decisions.
- Demonstrate the ability to prepare draft documents for attorneys, including sound legal research and analysis of key issues.
- Independently review, with little attorney oversight, advertising, marketing, sales, and other promotional materials for proper trademark use and educate marketing and other appropriate personnel so review is more efficient.
- Provide high quality comment on third party agreement documents for attorney review.
Qualifications and Education Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degreerequired
- Paralegal Certificate from an ABA approved institution required unless holding degree within legal studies
- More than 7years paralegal experience performing intellectual property work with a law firm or corporation
- Highly organized, detail oriented and able to follow through on assignments
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully with business persons and with other departments to advance organizational goals
- Ability to maintain strict levels of confidentiality
- Ability to work well both independently and in a team
- Capacity to work well with employees across all departments
- Strong general computer skills, including intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office business software (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel), SharePoint and Internet usage
- Solid understanding of the organization and functions relatively independently
- Demonstrated ability to educate clients on intellectual property law basics
- Drive for Results
- Learn on the Fly
- Interpersonal Savvy
- Dealing with Ambiguity
- Integrity and Trust