Reporting to the Advanced tooling lead, this position will be responsible for tooling and mechanical parts execution, including the drafting, development and machining supervision of new tooling designs, changes to existing designs and the maintenance of existing tools. In addition, developing new innovative designs for process improvement and facilitating manufacturing operations is a key function of this role.
To be successful as a Tooling Engineer, you should demonstrate superb attention to detail and be able to manage time efficiently. Should be deadline-driven, meticulous, precise and consistently produce high-quality work.
- Participate and/or lead COQ problem solving projects through controlling tooling improvement activities/projects.
- Improve COQ molding performance by identifying and simulating new models for process improvements & material flow.
- Utilizes software packages such as Moldflow and Sigmasoft as a regular function in the molding tooling development lab, studies supplied customer mold specifications, engineering data, and molding material resin specifications, to develop a material delivery and gating strategy.
- Using 3D modelling software and simulation software to analyze new/existing tooling designs and improve them.
- Developing blueprints for new Tooling designs as per plant or project specifications.
- Sharing designs with colleagues and implementing any relevant feedback in the new designs.
- Developing prototypes and testing new designs.
- Carrying out quality assurance tests on new designs.
- Participate in new tool designs and build-up and ensure tools are delivered to product specifications and best practices within timelines serving both molding plant and NPD requirements.
- Log and track details of all specifications for existing and new molding tooling and machine related parts and operation fixtures.
- Collaborate with NPD Team & report the exact product design needs for manufacturability of new products.
- Organize and update accurate engineering documents with regards to molding tooling including solid models, assemblies and prints with all revisions.
- Participate in executing a tooling maintenance scheduling and tracking system that is visual, accurate, and adequate to meet quality & manufacturing needs.
- Participate in predictive and preventive tooling workshop needs to ensure maintenance and upgrades needs are performed on timely manner.
- Should track and predict tool life and obtaining replacement components in a proactive manner to support demand and insure product quality. Maintain consumables as well.
- Participate for developing better quality tooling and continuous improvement especially on resolving quality defects.
- Develop measurement methods and regularly review dimensional reports on tools to ensure dimensional compliance to internal and external requirements
- Assists in coordinating design and delivery of new machinery, tool handling equipment and miscellaneous supplies/tools to support tool room activities.
- Assist in providing training to tooling workshop personnel and work on programs to improve their skills. Develop TWI and SOP for tooling related operations.
- Promotes a culture of safety and continuous improvement towards a world class standard
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering (Materials, Manufacturing & Design preferred) or related technical field; or equivalent combination 2 to 3 years of related experience and education and/or training is preferred.
- Knowledge of tooling workshop CAD/CAM
- General workshop machinery industry and material knowledge
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as dimensional computation, probability, geometry and trigonometry.
- Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Experience with 3D Modelling – Creo preferred or similar, MS Office, machinery CAD/CAM (Powermill, Mastercam preferred).
- Thermal analysis, CFD, flow and FEA knowledge.
- Experience working cross-functionally with different levels of the organization
- Dynamic & stress analysis knowledge.
- MS Project experience
- Exposure to standards like ISO 9000 or SQF
Physical Demands / Working Conditions:
- General Office Environment, PC use
- Light Lifting (occasional 25 lbs or less)