As part of a small, passionate and accomplished team of experts, you will lead production transition activities for components and subsystems integrated on rocket launch vehicles and spacecraft. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your dedicated commitment and detailed attention towards safe and repeatable spaceflight.
- Perform a hands-on engineering and liaison role between our design team, manufacturing engineering, internal manufacturing and external suppliers.
- Develop and improve processes related to Tool Engineering design/build and specification buy for Parts and Sub-assembly Production, Vehicle Production, Vehicle Operations, Ground Systems Installation and Operations, and Vehicle Refurbishment.
- Lead capability assessments, and troubleshootinginvestigations related to Production Tooling and Ground Support Equipment.
- Lead projects to reduce cycle time, flow time and improve outcomes.
- Take a significant leadership role in both designing and specification purchases of large, complex tool and equipment packages.
- Maintain and report on activity schedule, budget, and technical status.
- Drive to root cause, corrective action, and preventive action.
- Mentor and educate on tooling and Ground Support Equipment design and fabrication.
- Author and maintain tool engineering standards and specifications.
- This position will be located in Kent, WA with the frequent travel to our Orbital Launch Site in Cape Canaveral, FL.
- B.S. degree in mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, civil engineering or other engineering discipline.
- 12+ years of demonstrated resourcefulness and execution within complex, rapidly-changing manufacturing environments.
- Experience with tool and/or equipment engineering in aerospace.
- Desire to work hands-on leading a team, throughout the development, production and launch operation phases of the product lifecycle.
- Strong Project Management skills consistent with leading a team including suppliers through the complex Development, Production and Operations phases.
- Excellent attention to detail and strong task ownership, someone who demonstrates pride in all work and willingness to perform low-level tasks when needed.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong CAD Skills with experience using PROe/CREO, NX or CATIA.
- Strong GD&T skills.
- Strong analysis skills.
- Experience with requirements development for tooling and Ground Support Equipment.
- Experience in generating tooling and equipment specifications.
- Experience in generating tooling and Ground Support Equipment Statements of Work.
- Supplier Management Experience including budget and schedule management.
- Experience in both development and production environments.
- Must be willing to travel up to 20% of the time.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
- Experience with aerospace manufacturing and launch processes.
- PMP certification.
- Professional Engineering license.
- Experience and knowledge of aerospace materials.
- Passion for advancing the commercial space industry and human spaceflight.
- M.S. degree in mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, civil engineering or other engineering discipline.
- Experience in small company, startup, or growth transition environments.
- Kaizen, Six Sigma, or related training.
- Prior management experience in tool or equipment engineering at an aerospace company or supplier.