Classified Title: TIC Sr. Development Engineer
Starting Salary Range: Commensurate with Experience
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: Monday-Friday, 8:30am-5:00pm
Employee subgroup: Salaried Exmpt
Location: 04-MD:School of Medicine Campus
Department name: 60007476-IT@JH Technology Innovation Center
Personnel area: University Administration
The responsibilities of a Senior Development Engineer include design, implementation, testing, documentation, and support of product and project features. The ideal candidate will possess technical expertise in engineering, building, and deploying enterprise class systems and applications, have a deep understanding of the software development lifecycle and associated operations and best practices, along with a breadth and depth of understanding of related development and automation tools and techniques.
In this role, the Senior Development Engineer will work collaboratively and, in some cases, oversee other software engineering professionals to deploy and operate complex clinical and enterprise systems. The Senior Development Engineer understands the “big picture” and possesses the soft skills necessary to coordinate with various multidisciplinary teams spread across multiple geographic locations to accomplish development and deployment objectives.
Specifically, the Senior Software Developer will participate in the development, installation, modification and testing of enterprise applications and supporting server environments and software development pipeline tooling, which may include but not be limited to Precision Medicine, the Rubicon platform, EpiWatch, and the internal TIC Enterprise Collaboration Services stack.
In addition to writing code using Java, Spring Boot, Angular, and using various backend technologies (i.e. relational and NoSQL databases), the candidate should also have a strong background in server administration and must be comfortable developing custom scripting and configuration as code to support deployment and infrastructure automation, containerization (i.e. Docker), orchestration (i.e. Kubernetes, Swarm), and monitoring. Must have the ability to use a wide variety of open source technologies and cloud services, specifically Azure and Amazon Web Services (AWS). Experience building and deploying native and hybrid mobile apps to the respective Apple Store and Google Play Store is a plus, but not required.
- We’re a team of designers, developers, project managers, and business leaders
- We’re passionate about creatively tackling challenges facing patients, providers, and administrators through software development
- The software we design and develop facilitates communications, monitoring, analysis, and/or education for clinicians and patients
- We develop software that ranges from integrated clinical decision-support tools to mobile, remote patient monitoring apps that bridge patients and providers
- We prioritize work on software applications that have the greatest potential to positively impact patient care within The Johns Hopkins Health System
- We aim to create and deliver products (through licensing, start-ups, and sales) that are beneficial to other healthcare institutions
- We aim to disrupt while improving upon the status-quo of healthcare
Specific duties & responsibilities:
The Technology Innovation Center (TIC) is uniquely positioned within Johns Hopkins to help design, build, and deploy novel enterprise, departmental, and clinical applications that strive to improve workflow, outcomes, and patient care. Our applications focus on turning data and algorithms into useful visualization tools, improving workflows such as patient hand-off, rounding, and cross-team collaboration, and helping patients with medication adherence, data gathering, and overall clinical education. Our team frequently works with data from multiple sources including our Enterprise EMR (Epic), researcher curated data, and other IT systems. The applications we design, build, and support are critical to our healthcare operations and require high-availability, 24/7 monitoring, and on-callsupport.
- Partner with a clinical champion to identify and study the primary audiences
- Analyze existing clinical workflows of those audiences and ensure the application integrates with daily tasks of primary users
- Work with Product Development Leads, Designers, and Software Developers to lead stakeholders in design sessions for feature prioritization and feedback
- Deliver a minimum viable product that allows users to test with clinical teams at Johns Hopkins
- Support and maintain the application, while also providing assistance to the clinical champion in maximizing the application’s positive impact
- Work with the team to design and execute additional phases of work as needed
Minimum qualifications (mandatory):
- Bachelor’s degree. Additional experience may be substituted for education.
- Six years of related work experience. Additional education may be substituted for experience.
- Bonus: Software engineering experience in the healthcare IT.
- Bonus: Experience with data visualization and algorithm implementation.
Special knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Lead by Serving: be accessible, attentive, and accommodating to the team and our customers
- Challenge what’s Usual: take initiative, be relentless, and stay curious
- Take a Team-Based Approach: stay passionate about learning technology from each other and co-innovate
- Thrive in an interdisciplinary team-based environment
- Are comfortable with ambiguity, and are also willing to take task-based direction on projects
- Are not intimidated by working directly with world-class clinicians to design and develop software applications
- Have some background knowledge rooted in the healthcare industry, and are relentlessly curious to know more
- Would like to know your work is improving patients’ lives and making health systems function better, and you’d like to see this in action
- Are comfortable with feedback, and enjoy completing multiple iterations of your work before it becomes an enterprise-ready product
- Don’t take yourself too seriously, and enjoy a collaborative environment with lots of whiteboards and Post-It notes
Technical qualifications or specialized certifications:
- Full Stack Development.
- Experience leading the design, build, and implementation of at least one enterprise application
- Experience leading the design, build, and implementation of at least four mid-sized applications
- Familiarity with cross-platform development tools and techniques
- Experience leading a variety of multi-person projects simultaneously
- Comfortable switching gears depending on business requirements
- Expertise with production use of 3-4 development languages and/or frameworks
- Experience taking ownership of four or more established applications
- Experience setting up development operations (DevOps) for projects (four minimum)
- Experience with CI/CD tooling (e.g. Bamboo), build tools (e.g. Maven, Gradle, npm), and associated process automation for at least five applications
- Familiarity with Git workflows such as Gitflow, feature branching, and forking
- Experience with RESTful API concepts and developing distributed software systems for at least five applications
- Experience presenting to customers, leadership, and other technical groups or associations
- Ability to establish priorities, work independently, and proceed with objectives without supervision
- Desire to provide technical leadership to teammates through coaching and mentorship
- One or more technical degrees from an accredited university
Job Req ID: 11207