Google's custom-designed equipment makes up one of the largest and most powerful computing infrastructures in the world. The Manufacturing Operations team is responsible for providing the manufacturing capability to deliver this state-of-the-art physical infrastructure. As a Manufacturing Engineer, you evaluate the product designs and create the processes, tools and procedures behind Google’s powerful search technology. When vendors build parts for our infrastructure, you’re right there alongside ensuring manufacturing processes are repeatable and controlled. You collaborate with Commodity Managers and Design Engineers to determine Google’s infrastructure needs and product specifications. Your work ensures the various pieces of Google’s infrastructure fit together perfectly and keep our systems humming along smoothly for a seamless user experience.
As a Thermal Manufacturing Engineer in Google Technical Operations, you will join the team responsible for providing manufacturing support and guidance for Google’s next generation thermal solutions. You are a Manufacturing expert with the ability to overcome obstacles to launch new thermal products in Contract Manufacturer (CM) and Original Design Manufacturer (ODM) environments. You are hands on and have an extensive understanding of the tools, processes and techniques used to manufacture both system and data center level thermal products. You are a valued partner to the product development team via your industry knowledge, and are experienced with conceptualization, implementation and qualification of advanced manufacturing techniques for thermal devices. Design for Excellence (DFX) opportunities are identified by you, as you support delivery of world class thermal products and fulfillment chains.
Behind everything our users see online is the architecture built by the Technical Infrastructure team to keep it running. From developing and maintaining our data centers to building the next generation of Google platforms, we make Google's product portfolio possible. We're proud to be our engineers' engineers and love voiding warranties by taking things apart so we can rebuild them. We're always on call to keep our networks up and running, ensuring our users have the best and fastest experience possible.
- Lead Manufacturing Engineers on product development teams, developing manufacturing strategy, performing DFX and driving implementation of manufacturing solutions for thermal assemblies.
- Provide manufacturing engineering expertise in supplier selection, qualification and management during product development and sustaining.
- Research, develop and qualify advanced thermal manufacturing solutions to ready the supply chain for future product requirements.
- Spearhead continuous improvement initiatives to enhance manufacturing processes and product designs. Identify process, tooling, and automation opportunities to support high volume manufacturing at desired quality levels, reduced cost, product repeatability, and provide front line support for manufacturing and field quality issues.
- Drive concurrent Engineering teams through communicating design, process, tooling and material changes to manufacturing partners and design engineering peers.
- BA/BS degree in Mechanical, Process or Manufacturing Engineering or related discipline, or equivalent practical experience.
- 10 years of experience in process and/or product development for thermal assemblies for small to large electronics packaging systems.
- 5 years of experience working with Precision Machining, Brazing (furnace, vacuum), Soldering, Skiving, Zipper Fin stamping/assembly, Welding, Purge/Fill and Sintering processes.
- Master's degree.
- Experience with Process and Production line development for Thermal assemblies.
- Experience working with Solid Modeling CAD (Creo) and Thermal Analysis (FloTHERM).
- Understanding of passive and active heatsink-thermal transport mechanisms, with expertise in technologies such as heat pipes, thermosyphons, vapor chambers and evaporator/condenser assemblies.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills, with a well-focused attention to detail; ability and commitment to produce timely and highly accurate work products.