As part of a small, passionate, and accomplished team of experts, you will contribute to the definition and development of thermal fluid systems for the Blue Moon lander. You'll need significant depth in thermal/fluids analysis as well as breadth in space applications. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your dedicated commitment and detailed attention towards safe and repeatable human spaceflight.
- Participate in the development of thermal fluid systems including system architecture definition, thermo-fluid system modeling, component sizing, and conceptual design.
- Own conceptual design and analysis of fluid subsystems as assigned (e.g. thermal cooling loops, propellant feed, pressurization, reaction control, etc.)
- Perform transient thermo-fluid analysis of fluid systems as well as development of the Process and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&ID) and tracking of system performance
- Perform requirements analysis and traceability, and functional analysis
- Perform trade studies relating to selection of material and subsystem hardware
- Develop and maintain system analysis documentation
- Maintain and report on activity schedule and technical status
- Minimum of a B.S. degree in mechanical or aerospace engineering
- 7+ years of experience in fluids or thermodynamics
- Extensive system analysis experience (5+ years)
- Proficiency in the transient thermo-fluid modeling of both compressible and incompressible fluids
- Working knowledge of fluid components such as valves, regulators, and fittings
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
- M.S. degree in mechanical or aerospace engineering
- Experience in analyzing space systems including cryogenic systems
- Experience solving a variety of thermal-fluid problems demonstrating breath in analysis application
- Experience with fluid or thermal modelling tools (e.g., ANSYS Workbench, ANSYS Classic, SINDA/FLUINT, TMG, CFD++, Fluent CFD, SPF, Thermal Desktop, Trasys, MINIVER)
- Proficiency 3D CAD software (Creo Pro/E and Pro/E Piping module preferred)
- Proficiency in one or more programming languages (e.g., C/C++, FORTRAN, Matlab).
- Able to apply heuristic and functional decomposition techniques to scope the design and development of new architectures
- Experience leading system and program level trade studies to balance programmatic and technical goals