Under the direction of the Test Lab Manager, responsible for analyzing test requests, specifications, related data and drawings to determine testing parameters, equipment and detailed procedures necessary to perform required dynamic and static testing and certification of vehicles, trailers, and components. Direct Test technicians in the set-up and performance of such tests. Interpret and analyze test data to prepare test reports. Perform instrumentation set up, data analysis and technical report writing. Operation of equipment to perform tests such as tension/compression testing, salt spray, humidity, thermal cabinets, QUV chamber and gravelometer. Use of DMM, micrometers, calipers, gages and othermechanical, electrical, and electronic test gear.
- Perform vehicle dynamics tests
- Perform static weight studies and analysis on pass cars, trucks, and trailers.
- Perform un-instrumented tests for subjective evaluationreports.
- Perform tests on parts and sub-assemblies for product evaluations, certifications, monthly/yearly verifications, etc.
- Interpret and analyze test requests to prepare test procedures for static and dynamic testing
- Interpret and analyze test data to prepare test reports.
- Installation, operation, calibration, and troubleshooting of sophisticated electronic instrumentation for vehicle dynamic testing and in-house lab tests
- Project set up and operation of OBDII, GPS, and Mapping software
- Operation and set up of hydraulic, pneumatic, and electronic controls and test fixtures.
- Design, fabricate, weld, and assemble various parts and test fixtures.
- Perform various product evaluations.
- Write test outlines, procedures, and reports.
Knowledge of vehicle combination handling is required. Light truck and trailer combination highly desirable. Capable of performing complex vehicle dynamics testing. Capable of repetitively and uniformly perform steering, braking, acceleration, deceleration, durability, and fuel economy test schedules.
Experience with the operation of data acquisition systems (Vishay, DEWESoft, and LabVIEW). Must be competent in instrumentation technology, analysis and technical report writing. Working knowledge of SAE and ASTM, standards, test methods, and recommended practices. Understand electronic theory and automotive electronics. Proficient in MS Excel and Word. Test driving experience is a plus.