As a Test Automation Engineer (a.k.a. Software Engineer In Test) you will be part of an Agile team and involved in all aspects of our projects’ lifecycle from inception through release working closely with the team’s product owner, architects and engineers. Your mandate on the team will be to: (a) maximize the quality, measurability and supportability of the production features being developed, (b) maximize the testability of the software by finding and closing gaps in test coverage (c) minimize the team’s overall internal defect escapes by shifting the balance of how we manage quality from end-of-cycle defect detection & containment (bug-finding & fix cycles) to up-front defect prevention (automation backed coverage of all our application features).
You will not be writing production code. You will however be writing a lot of code in the form of tools, emulators, mocks, fakes, stubs, unit, component and integration tests. You will also be working closely with the Engineering DevOps teams helping enhance our integration with our continuous integration (CI) systems, our virtual labs and helping build out fully automated reporting of all the various project quality metrics with a vision of achieving “push-button” reporting of a project’s software quality and trending (code coverage, static analysis, test surface coverage).
- Be part of an Agile team, participate in all Agile ceremonies & activities and be accountable for the sprint deliverable
- Participate in Release/Iteration planning, smoke, feature and regression test planning
- Design & build automation smoke, feature & regression tests
- Review code with your peers for testability, supportability and look for full unit test coverage
- Write feature use cases in BDD to drive the creation of automated and/or manual test cases
- Build mocks, emulators, fakes, stubs and test case libraries driving towards 100% acceptance test coverage of stories
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- 2 years in software development, software automation or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Familiar with SQL based RDBMS, DML & DDL (e.g. MySQL, PostgreSQL, Microsoft SQL Server, MariaDB...)
- Highly motivated self-starter with a desire to help others and take action
- Requires strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to translate technical concepts into non-technical terms
- Ability to independently work as a contributing member in a high-paced and focused team
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize tasks with competing deadlines
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills with the ability to work under pressure
- Ability to socialize ideas and influence decisions without direct authority
- Collaborative in nature with a strong desire to dig in and learn independently and as well as through asking questions
- Considers ‘best-practice’ standards, as well as departmental policies and procedures
- Experience writing functional E2E automation tests
- Aware of CI, CD & DevOps tools & scripting (i.e. Jenkins, Bash, PowerShell, Chef, Puppet, Ansible, SaltStack Artifactory...)
- Strong computer science fundamentals: OOP, design patterns, data structures & algorithms
- Preferred: Fuel Retail, Wholesale or Logistics domain experience
- Must be legally permitted to work in the United States.