Who We Are
We’re Dealer Tire, a family-owned, international distributor of tires and parts established in 1918 in Cleveland, OH. We’re laser focused on helping the world’s largest and most trusted auto manufacturers grow their tire business—in fact, we’ve sold more than 60 million tires to date. We’re a thriving company, and we’re looking for driven individuals to join our team. That’s where you come in!
As a Territory Transportation Manager, your essential job functions will include the following:
- Direct and coordinate all daily transportation activities throughout the company’s network on a pro-active basis by working with our warehouses, carriers, corporate and field teams to meet all company service and cost goals. Monitor and resolve any carrier performance issues.
- Develop and manage processes and procedures that define activities to accomplish company goals in the most effective manner.
Freight Cost and Delivery Service Performance
- Responsible for on-time customer delivery by carriers and for meeting transportation budget expectations. Manage service and cost metrics.
- Create and maintain the transportation plan to minimize cost and achieve customer service targets.
- Facilitate the development of all current and potential new carriers to meet customer requirements on timeliness, quality, pricing and ease of doing business – includes Co-op/Regional, Parcel, LTL, truckload and other carriers. Negotiate and establish transportation contracts.
- Maintain schedules, service levels and rates for customer service, carrier preferences and selection.
- Audit freight accounts and work with Finance to assure correct payments, accruals and GL coding.
- Drive continuous process improvement through root cause analysis and developing improved operational and strategic approaches to issues and opportunities.
- Create and maintain appropriate transportation standard operations procedures (SOP).
- Collaborate with and provide guidance to Warehouse and Inventory Management teams on transportation matters.
Transportation Analysis and Design
- Analyze alternate transportation options and recommend the best solutions that balance cost reduction with same/better service.
- Lead service and other improvement efforts to increase service reliability, reduce transit time and/or lower delivered cost.
- Participate on and/or lead network design initiatives including delivery service planning for new/relocated warehouses.
- Lead new carrier selection processes including bid inquiries, requests for proposal and awards including carrier evaluations and cost/benefit analysis.
Leadership, Mentoring, & Coaching
- Communicate expectations/strategic vision to team members.
- Direct team members to support priorities within the Transportation team.
- Motivate, coach, train, counsel and provide career development for each team member.
- Monitor performance, conduct annual performance evaluation of each assigned team member and recommend appropriate action such as compensation changes, promotions, counseling and termination.
- Determine staffing needs, interview potential candidates, and make recommendations on individual hires.
Other Duties as Assigned
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred.
- Five plus (5+) years of strong hands-on experience in transportation operations including managing daily operations and meeting performance targets required.
- Experience with parcel shipping and specialized regional courier delivery carriers (co-ops) preferred.
- Supervisory experience; solid leadership skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and ability to present to all levels.
- Software experience with ERP systems (such as JD Edwards), vehicle routing and other tools.
- Proficient with MS Office (including Access, Excel, Word) and Internet.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Customer Focus
- Results Orientation
- Setting Direction
- Vendor and Supplier Management
- Critical Thinking
- Executive Presence
Physical Job Requirements
- Travel via air and automobile (25%)